What screws to use with flush mounts to hang mirror frame?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

I'm trying to hang a 9kg mirror which is approx 80 x 110cm on a brick wall. The mirror has a thick wooden frame, so after a bit of Googling, these flush mounts looked like the best option.

I've just tried fitting them and found that all my screws have heads that are too big and stick out preventing the mounts from sliding into each other. The only exception being the 15mm screws which I don't think would be much good for attaching a 9kg mirror to a brick wall!

Could anybody suggest what screws I should be using?

Thanks

Pete

Sponsored Links
I had been using countersunk screws, but the heads are still too big, see below.

idNDdq.JPG

The one on the left is the tiny 15mm screw, whose head is OK, the one on the right is the next size up but the head is already too big.

Pete

You need smaller screws, not shorter, with shallow heads.
Or you can enlarge the existing holes to take those screws with an oversize hss bit.

Sponsored Links
I think the problem is that I don't understand how the widths are measured so can't work out what screws I need! How do I work out the width of the screw that did fit - where do I measure and in what units?

Sorry, bit of a newb at this!

As a rough guide measuring across the head of the screw at the widest point in mm's will give you gauge of the screw in most cases.

I had been using countersunk screws, but the heads are still too big, see below.

idNDdq.JPG

The one on the left is the tiny 15mm screw, whose head is OK, the one on the right is the next size up but the head is already too big.

Pete
Countersink the holes in the bracket deeper, large screw should then sit flush.

Wotan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back