Fitting a chandelier to a ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm in the process of hanging and wiring in a chandelier to a ceiling rose. I think that the wiring is 'loop' type. I've got three problems with it:-

1) The chandelier will be supported by a metal bar which doesn't fit because of the ceiling rose. I've drilled a couple of holes in it and ground off part of it so it doesn't foul wiring. My idea is to slip it underneath the ceiling rose - is that going to be safe?//media.diynot.com/226000_225787_88094_92206411_thumb.jpg
//media.diynot.com/226000_225787_88095_29088649_thumb.jpg
//media.diynot.com/226000_225787_88092_56901982_thumb.jpg

2) Does the metal earth on the other side of the ceiling rose have to be in contact with the ceiling itself? - if I put the supporting bar behind it will raise it a mm or so from the ceiling.

3) The chandelier is metal and has a live, neutral and earth from it - the existing (plastic) fitting has only live and neutral. Do I need to earth the new fitting to the ceiling rose?//media.diynot.com/226000_225787_88093_42106065_thumb.jpg

Many thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give.

Sponsored Links
This is a common nightmare, as many light fittings are made without thought for the (more complicated) way that we do things around here.

Short answers I hope

1. That is not the way to do it. The old ceiling rose is designed with the cover being plastic. Your proposed way stands a good chance of the new lights METAL cover coming into accidental contact with live terminals/wires.
The correct method is to dispense with the old ceiling rose terminals and replace these with insulated terminal block, using either the one supplied with the light, or using new (bigger) ones.

2. It is not necessary to earth the ceiling!

3./ If the new light fitting has an earth terminal then you MUST connect all of those earth conductors to it.

PS If this is an upstairs room, somethimes it is easier to pull the cables into the loft space and install a proper junction box up there with just a piece of 3-core flex coming through the ceiling.

PPS This link will give you a clue as to what all thopse wires are for. //www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting-Rose

Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back