Ceiling rose wiring question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My first post here, apologies for any incorrect terminology and what might seem a daft question and thanks in advance for any advice!

I've 'fitted' a ceiling rose in place of an existing chandelier style light fitting. When I removed the chandelier there were three core wires which fed into these little plastic terminal(?) connectors (I'll try to upload a photo of them)

Out of these there was a red live wire (which I believe to be the switch wire), a blue neutral wire and a green and yellow earth wire.

My question is can I keep the terminal blocks (if that's what hey're called??) and simply wire the as follows - red (switch wire) to the live, blue to the neutral and earth to the earth of the rose terminals? The same as the attached image below?
ceiling_rose.jpg

Thanks,
Jim

Attachments

• Terminal blocks.PNG
    Terminal blocks.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 291
Sponsored Links
You could do that, but (although they weren't) those connector blocksand an unsheathed sections of cable should be in an enclosure, and should be accessible for inspection & testing.

But why not use the rose the way it's meant to be?

Thanks for the quick response. It's appreciated.

It's my first encounter with a rose and I didn't want to take out those connector blocks as I wasn't 100% sure what they were actually doing. It's a fair question though. So, could I just simply remove the connector blocks and terminate all the wires in the rose? I'm confident that I've identified the live switch cable so I should be fairly comfortable making sure they all go in the right place (famous last words).

Can I ask, is it dangerous for the cables and blocks not to be in an enclosure? Have slight concerns that much of the rest of the house will be wired in the same way!

Terminals blocks should be in an enclosure, but when it comes to light fittings it's unfortunately common to stuff the connectors into ceiling void if space is limited. Tape is sometimes used to insulate the connectors, but it's all a bit rough.

You would be wise to terminate all your connections into the ceiling rose. You may find it fiddly to do though.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I'll have a look at doing that this weekend when I've got some daylight to work with. For now, I've just wired it as I described in my first post and the light works fine, but I will terminate everything to the rose just to be sure. I appreciate the feedback.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back