weird old chandelier trips when I connect earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wonder if anyone has advice on this...

I have a chandelier. I took it from a friend's house where it was wired with no earth. When I took it home I noticed there was a third wire, which I assumed was the earth. As it is metal - I want to earth the thing. So when I connect this 3rd wire to the earth, the electrics trip. When I don't connect it, the chandelier works fine.

I have just got another second-hand chandelier, and it seems to be doing the same thing.

Any ideas? I want to earth them, but when I do, the electrics trip.

Help! :(

Sponsored Links
There's a fault in them between live or neutral and the body of the light. This will make them dangerous if not earthed, possibly lethally so, and will cause the trip (you don't sat whether it's the MCB or RCD) when they are earthed.

Throw them in the bin, and buy some lights which are not faulty.

OR.... if the chandelier is very nice & replacements are expensive, it may be worth having it repaired.

It is not that hard to rewire a light fitting, you just need to find a local place that can do that for you.

I've been trying all day to reconcile "chandelier" and "very nice", and I just can't.

Sponsored Links
The wire you are connecting may not be earth, some chandeliers have 2 live or 2 neutral. Usually you will find a terminal screwed or crimped to the metal work for earth.

Pictures!!

We want pictures!

[Led away, foaming at the mouth...]

which I assumed was the earth.

Assumption is the mother of all **** ups. Was this earth wire marked green and yellow? Was the earth terminal you connected it to actually connected to earth?

It's curious to me that you have managed to get two separate faulty light fittings. They could both have a live fault to the metalwork, but it could also be the way it has been wired into the circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back