Vintage Chandelier Question/worries!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I’m happy to install light fittings and fixtures but my wife has recently set her heart on a vintage French chandelier from an antique shop.
I took a look and it’s clearly pretty old with no earth and just 2 wires that are the same colour. We live in a 5yr old house so with fully up to date electrics etc. I’m a little concerned about what happens if anything goes wrong with the light? What’s the worst that can happen? Is there any chance of a fire? Will things just trip? With no earth is there a risk of electrocution (mainly metal light fitting)? Or, does the benefit of modern electrics protect us from all of these fears??

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
Lots of old metal fittings didn't have earth provisions, and they were used like that for years, that said doesn't make it correct.

You might be able to add and earthing point to the lamp and possibly re-wire the light if needed.

Obviously you have to get a sparky to do it.

Have you got any pics of said fitting?

What’s the worst that can happen?
The metal parts of the light fitting become live, and remain that way.
Someone touching it will get a shock. If there is a functioning RCD installed and the current that passes through the person touching the light is sufficient to trip the RCD, then the duration of the shock will be limited to the trip time of that RCD.

However even in the best case scenario they still get a shock, and it they are standing on a ladder or similar at the time, the fall from that ladder could be fatal.

If it's old enough to not have any earth connection, then it will need to be rewired and possibly have the lampholders replaced.

Thanks for the help. A few pics as requested….

Attachments

• 539B1831-07A4-4DC4-AFBA-B3760B236A83.jpeg
    539B1831-07A4-4DC4-AFBA-B3760B236A83.jpeg
    289.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 5DE68320-AC41-4DF1-9314-1C44FB290384.jpeg
    5DE68320-AC41-4DF1-9314-1C44FB290384.jpeg
    236 KB · Views: 84
  • E8C34138-FBC2-421B-B91C-1D38FE8EA283.jpeg
    E8C34138-FBC2-421B-B91C-1D38FE8EA283.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 1134913B-706F-4278-A585-B4D4813C57CE.jpeg
    1134913B-706F-4278-A585-B4D4813C57CE.jpeg
    231.3 KB · Views: 83
Sponsored Links
At 70 plus holding a chandelier while wiring it up, is for me a non starter, so I use plug in ceiling roses, expensive, but once fitted easy to fit what ever light fitting I want. Ceiling rose.jpg 20220415_000328_1.jpg As long as switched off before you change a bulb there is very little chance of a shock, but since the ceiling rose I used is metal and earthed, and the chain link connects it to the chandelier, I would be very unlucky for the RCBO not to trip with an earth fault before I touched the chandelier.

I am not saying one should rely on a chain link making a good earth connection, one clearly should not, but you I am sure can assess the risk, and decide if worth it.

That needs a complete rewire and new lampholders. Cotton braided flex puts it well over 60 years old.
The plastic twin flex at the top is probably a later addition, joined to the cotton flex inside the base section as that was easier to do than replacing the whole lot.

I agree with Flameport. Total re-wire essential. May be necessary to covert to ELV ( Extra Low Voltage ) using 12 volt lamps and a transformer.

Also when deciding how to fix it consider the weight of the chandelier and the dynamic load if the ceiling is shaken by people jumping/bouncing in the room above. You need to fix it to a joist and not rely on plasterboard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back