Vintage electric sewing machine.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife loves her sewing machines, and we just picked up a vintage Singer 185k made around 1960.

Before letting her loose on the machine, I decided to check the wiring. There was a cut in on of the leads, so I opened up the electrical connector box and cut out the defective piece of cable and reterminated it.

It struck me that there is no earth wire to the machine. The machine is metal, and the electric motor seems to be plastic. Under the motor is a small terminal box were all the wires are connected. The wires are connected using the screw on plastic covers. The wiring is covered by a thin plastic insulator and then a metal plate which fixes the motor to the machine.

I guess back in 1960, they weren't as safety conscious, but I'm wondering if the machine is safe to use. The obvious concern is that a loose live wire could come into contact with the metal body.

The house wiring is up to date with modern consumer unit and rcd's so hopefully this would provide adequate protection.

Question is, should I attempt to earth the body, which shouldn't be too difficult, or just leave it as it was manufactured.

Sponsored Links
Me old ma had one of these.....it had a knee operated rheostat to control the speed. The cable was a purple cotton, if I recall.
She had it plugged into a light socket o_O
I'd definitely earth it, and fit it with a 3 amp fuse......unless anyone knows any reason not to!
John :)

You could test for continuity between the motor parts and the cover. And replace all the wiring and re solder, not just what you have cut out.

Blup

Leave as is. How is a wire going to come loose all by itself and touch the sewing machine? The motor will be double insulated - look for the double-insulated symbol on it. As long as the wiring isn't old rubber insulated - which disintegrates - replace it in that case.

Sponsored Links
Ours the motor is an extra, you can remove it and fit the hand crank instead, or put it on a table designed for it and use treadle control, so cable only goes to motor, however I am sure ours does have an earth, but if it has double square then can be used without an earth.

1664062087444.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back