Vintage Sewing Machine New Cord

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a Husqvarna Sewing machine from the 1950's. Everything (the motor etc) was recently serviced and in working order, but it recently suddenly cut out, and the light also doesn't come on - I changed the fuse to no avail, then used a voltage tester pen and learned that no electricity is getting through the cable, so I assumed that was the problem, I've bought a new 2-core cable to replace it with (these old machines didn't seem to have earths).

I just wanted to ask if anyone could help me identify where to insert the neutral and where to insert the live on the machine end - the previous cable wasn't coloured, so I'm unable to tell. I've taken a few pictures to illustrate (the second pic shows the two points of insertion, one above the other). Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20230828_145642.jpg
    IMG_20230828_145642.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20230828_145744.jpg
    IMG_20230828_145744.jpg
    441.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20230828_145812.jpg
    IMG_20230828_145812.jpg
    503.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20230828_145846.jpg
    IMG_20230828_145846.jpg
    512.2 KB · Views: 59
Sponsored Links
Switch will be on the live side so bottom position ( though pic not clear).

Thanks so much for getting back to me - I really appreciate it. I'm a bit slow with this stuff, and would love to understand the logic - can I ask how you arrived at that?

Cheers,
Adam

Just because they never used to have an earth does not entirely mean that if replacing the mains supply cord one should not be added.

Does it have the double insulated (square in a square) symbol on it? doubt it.
Might be better off using a 3 wire lead and taking the earth to a screw head via a ring crimp so that the body is earthed in case of a fault.

JW may be best to advise on if that's the right thing to do.

Sponsored Links
Thanks so much for getting back to me - I really appreciate it. I'm a bit slow with this stuff, and would love to understand the logic - can I ask how you arrived at that?

Cheers,
Adam
If it switched the neutral the appliance could still be live when turned off.

Just because they never used to have an earth does not entirely mean that if replacing the mains supply cord one should not be added.

Does it have the double insulated (square in a square) symbol on it? doubt it.
Might be better off using a 3 wire lead and taking the earth to a screw head via a ring crimp so that the body is earthed in case of a fault.

JW may be best to advise on if that's the right thing to do.
Thanks for the response. This makes sense. So if I did that, would I, essentially be sealing off the ground wire at the appliance end as there's nothing at that end to connect it to?

If it switched the neutral the appliance could still be live when turned off.
Thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately, I still don't understand, but from your previous post, I believe you're saying the live wire should go into the bottom of the two slots? Is that the case, or does it not really matter which one goes where?
Thanks

Thanks for the response. This makes sense. So if I did that, would I, essentially be sealing off the ground wire at the appliance end as there's nothing at that end to connect it to?
No, you would connect it in the plug and connect it on the machine, there is a screw into the body just above the other connection points that can be used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back