Washing machine and extension cord?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a fused wall switch for my washing machine, with a cable running into a socket in the cupboard next to the machine, and that's where the machine is plugged in.

The fused wall switch is overheating, and I know I will need to get an electrician to look at it. But could I, in the meantime, plug the machine in to an extension cord and run it from another power socket? (The machine itself seems fine - it isn't cutting out or doing anything strange, and is fairly new, whereas the wiring in the house is 25 years old, so I'm assuming it's a wiring problem and not a machine problem)

Some websites seem to say it's OK as a short-term measure, but some say never to do it. My washing machine manual doesn't say not to, but obviously I would rather not blow up the house and/or kill myself :rolleyes:

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
You would need a proper heavy-duty extension, rated for a full 3000watts/13amps. Most ones you get are only good for 10A.

Use one of the curly flex ones, or a four-way extension strip if you must do this.

To put it bluntly, those web sites that categorically state you can't do it are probably written for idiots, by idiots. Keep the lead as short as possible, make sure it's rated to full 13A/3kW, and if it's a wind-up extension, it MUST be fully unwound to avoid overheating and potential fire risk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back