Washing Machine -temporary use in double socket on main ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to move the washing machine from it's current location at one side of the kitchen to the other side on a strictly temporary basis (a week or two) while some work is done. All water and waste pipes will relocate fine, but the power cable is too short to safely reach the washing machine socket.

I'm led to believe using an extension cable is a no-no (I'm presuming because the washing machine wire and plug itself are moulded sealed units?).

There's a double socket on the main downstairs house ring within easy reach of the new location for the washing machine. Assuming nothing else is plugged into this socket (I can put a cover over one half), is it safe to use the washing machine in this socket and is there anything that could happen (bar the downstairs ring tripping/the fuse blowing) that could make this a seriously bad idea?

Sponsored Links
I'm led to believe using an extension cable is a no-no (I'm presuming because the washing machine wire and plug itself are moulded sealed units?).

Who has led you to believe this?
It's not true, providing the extension lead is of an appropriate rating and length for the task.
Nothing to do with molded plugs etc. on the washing machine.

If your using an extension lead. You must ensure the cable is rated for 13 Amps or more and that it also has an earth core.
For temp measure, it should be okay.

Sponsored Links
Cheers everyone, again my electrics ignorance is exposed lol. :LOL:

This puts my mind at rest, as a week without the washing machine in this house would cause havoc.

remember it's the cable/flex rating you need to be checking, do not assume if the plug top has a 13a fuse in it, that the cable is rated to it.

Yeah I knew what you meant, a big thick garden extension instantly sprang to mind (checking the 13a cable rating) as opposed to some weedy little household thing with a 13a fuse bunged in the plug.

I might have a look in the DIY sheds today, as I could do with a proper extension anyway - we have an abundance of the weedier things (extensions and multiplugs) kicking about the house for lamps and computers, but nothing higher rated.

Cheers again. :)

If you get an extension reel, make sure that you fully unwind the cable before you run a power-hungry device through it.
If you don't fully unwind, the cable will melt.

....and that's probably where I've picked the no-extension thing up from. I've probably read/heard of someone using a standard household weedy extension for the washing machine.

Edit: Cheers taylor

....and that's probably where I've picked the no-extension thing up from. I've probably read/heard of someone using a standard household weedy extension for the washing machine.

Edit: Cheers taylor

I'll hazard a guess that all shop bought extensions/power strips are 13a fused and therefore perfectly safe to use with anything that can be plugged into them.. New reel extensions even have a thermal cut out in case you don't read the instructions.

A lot of people tend to think that a full powerstrip or even daisy chaining power strips is overloading sockets, which presents the amusing/worrying notion that the only thing preventing their house burning down is their wooly understanding of electrics. As if people would be given that much responsibility in this nannying day and age!

I'll hazard a guess that all shop bought extensions/power strips are 13a fused and therefore perfectly safe to use with anything that can be plugged into them

That is a bit like shutting your eyes and hazarding a guess the road is clear to cross.

Many extension leads sold today with a 13 amp fuse fitted will NOT carry 13 amps in total safety. Some will not survive having 13 amps taken by one plug for long before the socket to pin contact area over heats.

I'll hazard a guess that all shop bought extensions/power strips are 13a fused and therefore perfectly safe to use with anything that can be plugged into them.. New reel extensions even have a thermal cut out in case you don't read the instructions.

This was from an extension lead that was not overloaded and witch had a thermal cut out on it. Not one of mine i may add it's one that failed a PAT test.

p.s. the pic doesn't quite show what a melted mess it really is.

I'll hazard a guess that all shop bought extensions/power strips are 13a fused and therefore perfectly safe to use with anything that can be plugged into them.
I wouldn't be so sure on that. Remember most types of CE mark can be self certified and afaict there is no central tracking.

The rating of the flex isn't too big a problem. Afaict 1.25mm flex is deemed to have a rating of 13A and this is what most extension leads are made of. I have seen smaller leads but they have always been clearly advertised as such. I'd still like more margin for a large fixed load but it's not vital as long as the lead is short.

* Low quality plugs and sockets. They all SAY they are rated at 13A but whether they can really do that for long periods is doubtfull, especially as they age.
* volt drop and fault loop impedences on long leeds. 50m (the longest common length) of 1.25mm or 1.5mm is going to have a rather high volt drop at 13A (arround 8% for 1.5mm I belive) and remember that drop is on top of any drop in the fixed wiring. This also impacts on fault loop impances (and therefore fuse blow times). At the very least such leads should be RCD protected so earth faults can be disconnected quickly but really leads that long should be avoided and/or larger sizes should be used to keep volt drop down.
* Inappropriate use of reels. Reels are fine if you are only running small handheld tools and/or an inspection lamp but for larger loads they must be unwound fully which kind of defeats the point of a reel and risks that someone being tidy will come along and reel it up again.
* water, normal UK plugs and extension sockets are not designed to get wet but they are often used in situations where it is not all that unlikely for them to get wet.

The bottom line is I would avoid running a washer (or any other load that draws close to the full 13A) off an extension lead if I could (like the original poster can). If I couldn't avoid it I would use a duraplug plug, appropriate flex (1.25mm is ok for a short run but I'd want larger for long runs), keep the lead to the length required and no more and either use a duraplug extension socket and keep it off the floor somehow or possibly cut the plug off the washer and use a CEEFORM plug and socket.

If you can plug it into a double socket, there won't be any need to use an extension lead. I know that manufacturer's instructions might say don't use a double socket, but that is for permanent installations. They also say don't use an extension lead. I suspect they are covering themselves against plugging two washing machines into the same double socket. A double gang socket can supply at least 20A safely. I'd be happier with a washer plugged into a double gang socket rather than an extension lead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back