socket problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my washing machine runs from a socket which is connected to a fused spur.

when i turn my washing machine on, after a few minutes the washing machine trips out the mains, blowing the fuse in the spur + the plug (both 13amp).
when used on another plug socket the washing machine does not trip out the mains.

also even with the fused spur switch off, just as you put a plug into the socket linked to the spur, you can hear a crackle/sparking noise.

what could be causing this socket to trip the mains?

Sponsored Links
thats what i thought, going to re-wire it and see what happens

could also be a faulty plug on the washer. Is it new? Its not unknown for sealed plugs to have a bad connection.

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
could also be a faulty plug on the washer. Is it new? Its not unknown for sealed plugs to have a bad connection.

but wouldn't this cause the washer to trip the mains on a different socket? as i have been using it on the socket i usually plug the kettle in, and it has not tripped the mains once

Elementary my dear Watson/ Wallsst

machine works in other socket = machine and plug OK

you can hear a crackle/sparking noise
= faulty socket

But there also appears to be a problem with the spur....

wallsst said:
also even with the fused spur switch off, just as you put a plug into the socket linked to the spur, you can hear a crackle/sparking noise.

Could the w/m socket be bypassing the spur switch? No, because then the spur fuse would not fail.

:?: :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back