Advice needed on swapping dishwasher and washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am thinking of switching round a dishwasher and washing machine because the steam from the dishwasher is seriously corroding the adjacent radiator. However the electrics have given me pause for thought.

The dishwasher is connected to a standard single plug socket on the back wall.

The washing machine connects through a hole in the adjacent cupboard to a standard single plug socket on the side of the cupboard. Above the plug socket is a switched fused spur. Above the switched fused spur is an unswitched fused spur.

The two spurs are presumably there for a reason. Would it best just to cover the radiator with a towel and leave everything as is?

Sponsored Links
A picture would probably help. But ideally you need to be able to isolate the appliances in the event there is an electrical fault. There shouldn't be an issue swapping them around, as long as you can still isolate.

Are you sure the radiator isn't leaking? It would be unusual for a dishwasher to corrode a radiator.

See no harm in switching things around however you should know what each swtch and spur is for.

Sponsored Links
plugs.jpg

See no harm in switching things around however you should know what each swtch and spur is for.

Interesting. I thought that the middle switch/spur must relate to the washing machine but if I turn it off the washing machine still has power, as does the kettle above the sink. So now I don't know what they are there for, or why all three are attached to a cupboard and not to the back wall. Must be for easy access in the event of a flood I suppose. Yet the dishwasher, which is equally capable of leaking, has a plug on the back wall and nothing else.

Are you sure the radiator isn't leaking? It would be unusual for a dishwasher to corrode a radiator.

The radiator runs right to the back wall. The section that is not exposed to the steam is pristine. The section that is exposed looked terrible until I sanded and painted it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back