Extending fused spur with socket for new dishwasher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm replacing my dishwasher, but the old dishwasher was hardwired directly into an unswitched fused spur, whereas the new dishwasher has a plug.

There isn't enough room behind the dishwasher to replace the fused spur with a socket, so I'm wondering if I can extend a socket from the fused spur into a better location?

I'm thinking some 2.5mm twin and earth, connecting the existing fused spur to a new surface mounted socket / backing box. Is this clever or crazy?

The alternative is to just chop the plug off and hardwire the new one in as well, but I'm attempting to avoid damaging anything.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi, I'm replacing my dishwasher, but the old dishwasher was hardwired directly into an unswitched fused spur, whereas the new dishwasher has a plug.
The old one would have had a plug as well.

There isn't enough room behind the dishwasher to replace the fused spur with a socket,
That's most likely why someone fitted a Fused Connector Unit.

so I'm wondering if I can extend a socket from the fused spur into a better location?
If you wish.

I'm thinking some 2.5mm twin and earth, connecting the existing fused spur to a new surface mounted socket / backing box. Is this clever or crazy?
It would be acceptable.

The alternative is to just chop the plug off and hardwire the new one in as well, but I'm attempting to avoid damaging anything.
I wouldn't call that damage.

Extending the fused spur with a socket would mean you have 2 fuses in line, one in the FCV and one in the plug. Not necessary. Best just to remove the plug and hard wire it.

You wouldn't want the fused spur unit to remain behind the dishwasher.

If it did blow, it would be an inconvenience.

So best to join the cables with 15 or 30 amp connectors (or better still maintenance free connectors of the correct size) and fit a blanking plate.

If the back box is metal, make sure it's earthed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice all. You convinced me that chopping the plug off wasn't a bad solution and I hardwired the machine to the existing fused spur.

You wouldn't want the fused spur unit to remain behind the dishwasher.

If it did blow, it would be an inconvenience.
But if it did blow, where ever it was, you would need to pull the dishwasher out to investigate the cause anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back