15 Amp socket outlet.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had some woes last night when my washing machine decided to blow a fuse last night mid cycle. It is currently fed via a fused spur above the kitchen work surfaces, the spur then feeds a single switched socket outlet under the work surfaces behind the washing machine. The fuse in the plug was the one that blew so had to drag the machine out. Is there any real reason I couldn't replace the under counter outlet with a 15A socket outlet ( Round pins) and put a 15 A plug on the washing machine? It would remove the in inexcessible fuse and retain the unplug ability of the Washing machine. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Replace the socket with a flex outlet and wire the washing machine to the outlet. The fuse in the spur will protect the circuit - change it for a switched fuse spur so that you can isolate the appliance.

Not sure why the fuse operated, maybe the machine was abit overloaded and the motor didn't like it. I thought about a flex outlet, however the WM fits into a single space and plugging it in is an arms length operation, so wiring into a flex outlet is going to be impossible. Is there any reason I shouldn't use an unfused plug and socket as it's fused in the FCU anyway? The FLU is switched anyway.

Sponsored Links
If your washing machine is old and requires replacement soon, no point is changing sockets and plugs to round pin, as you will just have to change them again soon.

Now where did I put that bolt......

The machine is 6 months old. The idea was only a solution to having to drag a washing machine which is full of water out to check a fuse.

The machine is 6 months old. The idea was only a solution to having to drag a washing machine which is full of water out to check a fuse.

Well, not really. I just have a situation where I have an appliance which is protected by 2 identical fuses in series with each other. Purely for convenience I would like to have just one in a accessible location. I don't think a one off nucience fuse op is much of a concern.

It wasn't. Fuses don't just go. You can pull the washer out, swap the plug and socket, and then pull it out again to find out why it blew the fuse in the FCU this time.

It wasn't. Fuses don't just go. You can pull the washer out, swap the plug and socket, and then pull it out again to find out why it blew the fuse in the FCU this time.

Unless it was one of those rather special "fuses" from China that I've been seeing rather too many of lately. You know, the non BS ones that are just a random bit of wire in a tube, with the end caps just shoved on and not really making proper contact. They've been known to fail in a variety of random ways, some with a small explosion and some just give up or fall apart.

They are, admittedly more commonly found in cheap electronic gear though rather than white goods.

Replace the socket with a flex outlet and wire the washing machine to the outlet. The fuse in the spur will protect the circuit - change it for a switched fuse spur so that you can isolate the appliance.

Don't do this....

It'll cause problems if you ever need to get an appliance guy out to it, either because the cable constrains it, or because he wants it unplugged before working on it.

It'll cause problems when you move house because you wont be able to find a terminal driver when you need to move the washer

etc, etc

the WM fits into a single space and plugging it in is an arms length operation, so wiring into a flex outlet is going to be impossible.

It shouldn't be a problem, unless you are a very large person. Most WMs are 600 wide and the same deep. It may be a bit fiddly, but it is quite easy to do. It is something that most sparkies have to do on a regular basis.

I seem to remember someone on this forum a few years ago actually thought it was a good idea to fit 15 amp plugs on appliances where a fused spur is controlling it.

It's not a good idea.

The main problem with this is all the problems you will have when you get a new machine, and the installer refuses to re-wire anything.

Nowadays installer expect to see a 13 amp socket ready for them just to plug in. They won't want to do any electrical work.

The other issue here is that if a fuse behind the machine has blown, then there is a definite fault, and so the machine has to be dragged out anyway to be repaired.

If you are still concerned about 'inaccessible' fuses, perhaps you could try fitting the socket in a nearby cupboard, if there is one. If so, drill a neat 2 inch or so circular hole in the back of the cupboard so the 13 amp plug can pass through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back