Washing machine not working in a socket, works in another

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

My washing machine stopped working in a particular socket last night, I checked the fuse etc and thats fine.

I then plugged it into another socket, and it then worked.. a socket in another part of my kitchen.

I plugged the kettle into the original socket the washing machine was in, and that worked in there. Seems the washing machine doesn't like working in that socket.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Daz

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a bad contact between plug and socket.

Personally i'd replace both the plug and the socket, bad contacts tend to lead to overheating which changes the properties of the metals and oxidises the surfaces leading to even worse contact. It's also possible that the plug was slightly undersized causing the problem in the first place.

Sponsored Links
A photo of the plug and its pins, and the socket, peering into the holes, may give some clues.

Most likely it is an overheating problem.

Is it a double socket?

Is a tumble drier nearby?

But anyway, plugwash has the probable cure.

please post photos of the inside of the old plug, and the back of the old socket, for our edification, especially if the wiring is scorched

It is still relevant to know if it is a double socket, and what else is plugged in.

Will do thank you, its a single socket on its own behind the washing machine, no other appliance nearby

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back