Wall socket stopped working.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My washing machine stopped working mid-spin yesterday. II changed the fuse and it still didn't work. I plugged a lamp into its socket under the sink and that doesn't work either. I've checked the machine works when plugged into another socket and it does...so, it's not the machine or machine fuse.

I have 4 fused outlets in the room and have worked out which sockets 3 of them control. That leaves one that is unidentified so I'm assuming it is that one which controls the socket under the sink which the machine was plugged into. I've changed the fuse in this and still the socket won't work.

I have no idea what else to check! Help!

Sponsored Links
First you need to isolate the circuit from power supply.
You then need to check the socket outlet for loose connection, if you find these replace and tighten up. If non found then check the fused outlet that is supplying/protecting this socket and look for loose connection there also.
Do you have any means of testing for voltage and continuity, such as a multimeter?

Sockets that run under longish high loads (like a wash machine) can fail - esp if they are cheap ones.

Check the wiring first. If you have a test meter, or a two-probe voltage tester (NOT a neon screwdriver) then see if there is 230V present at the socket terminals.

If you have voltage there then the socket or its switch may be suspect and you'll need a replacement.

If there's no voltage on the terminals then you have a fault somewhere else...in the wiring....somewhere!.

Thanks both of you. I've checked the wiring in the socket and fused outlet and both look fine. Will try and find a neighbour with a test meter...or an electrician I guess. Can't believe it just stopped working for no apparent reason. Grrr.

Was about to buy a new washing machine! Lucky I didn't!

Sponsored Links
Normally faults will be found at the accessories. (sockets, switches, junction boxes etc..)
To nail it down, you really need test equipment.
You need to know that you have continuity of the conductors and when powered up there is somewhere near a 230/240 Voltage being supplied.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back