Washing machine or wall socket - cutting out electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this is amateur to the extreme and not particularly clear.

Arrived home, electric had gone out. My partner flipped the RCD switch back up and there was a flash and a loud bang from either the washing machine or the socket it was plugged in to - unfortunately hard to tell as it was dark and it could've been the socket reflecting on the washing machine door. We unplugged the machine and left it for the night.

I stupidly decided to give it another shot today. Plugged in machine, switched the socket on and again a loud bang and electric went out. This time the kitchen MCD switch was down. Fuse in the washing machine plug looks and smells fine.

Any hints at what this might be so I can explain when the landlord comes round?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Probably the washing machine if the RCD doesn't trip when it's not plugged in. Try something else (like a lamp) in the same socket and see if it trips.

Sponsored Links
If you don't have a multimeter you can check a fuse with the aid of a torch.
Switch the torch on and remove the base cap. (The torch will go out).
Place one end of the fuse against the torch battery and the other end against the torch casing.
If the torch lights then the fuse is ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back