Fused spur to washing machine & socket. Modification.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a 13amp fused spur feeding a single socket & flex outlet to washing machine.

Both are behind the washing machine.

I would like to remove the single socket & fit a terminal block (15 or 30 amp?) to feed the washer FO & a new double socket above the worktop.

The terminal block would be in the back box of the removed single socket fitted with a blanking plate.

Is this method ok or is there a better way of doing it?

Sponsored Links
Why not move the FO to where the socket is, connect it to the incoming cable and loop up to the new socket. The cable that went to the FO can be abandoned then fit the blanking plate where the FO used to be

Thanks for your reply Westie. Both are on a dual back box with the cable from the fcu entering the socket first. Very little slack on the cable from the fcu so may not be possible.

I use to be involved in making concrete blocks for washing machines you would not believe the damage caused if one becomes lose.

Always have a means to switch off the washing machine remote from machine and easy to access.

I would put the switched FCU above counter and then sockets off that.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Eric.
The fcu is above the worktop so no probs there.
I remember my parents having a problem with a washing machine in the 70s.
Would that be a concrete flywheel? My dad couldn't believe concrete would be used in an electrical appliance.

How do you intend to install the double socket outlet above the work top?
Where are you taking you feed from?
Because Westies idea seems reasonable, if there are no other logical/practical ways of getting a feed. Although that socket will covered be the FCU and will be isolated when the fuse in the FCU is broke or the connection opened.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back