Why does washing machine have to be double poled?

Screwed said:
Cheers, will go for option A, already got the switch with neon light, will have it plugged in, in the cupboard tonight! Why make plugging in a washing machine so awkward!!!!!

Hmmm...safety? I heard somewhere that washing machines were a major cause of domestic fires...maybe not, but best keep it isolated when not in use, though they probably catch fire when they're in use, if at all...

Sponsored Links
I remember reading on the IEE forums about problems with washing machines and high earth loop impedances creating a fire hazard. I've had a look but couldn't find the thread.

High EFL's require RCD protection anyway, so fire protection should be covered.

I know not all High EFL installs necessarily have RCD back-up....

Sorry...pointless post!!

Sponsored Links
What's the diffrerence between the fuse being in the plug or the fuse being in the switch?

PS: Started to read that thread but it flew over me!! One point though, why can you run a lawn mower off of an extn lead but not a dryer? (or can't you!!)

Screwed said:
What's the diffrerence between the fuse being in the plug or the fuse being in the switch?

No difference, but if it's in the switch it's easier to replace. Also, if it's in the switch (as in FCU), you could downgrade the cable from the switch to the appliance if necessary (keeping to the requirements of the regs, of course!).

Screwed said:
PS: Started to read that thread but it flew over me!! One point though, why can you run a lawn mower off of an extn lead but not a dryer? (or can't you!!)

The difference is that any equipment that is used outside, must! be protected by RCD, unfortunately not all ring circuits have to. When I install a new ring circuit or modify an existing one I try to convince the occupier to install RCD/RCBO in all of them (Ring circuits), and normally they will accept this option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back