FCUs from double socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a double socket in the kitchen which already has a FCU with single socket spurred off, which I use for the washing machine. I also have a dishwasher next to the washing machine which I've had to plug into the double, but I'd really prefer to have it plugged in under the worktop like the washer. Can I add another FCU and single socket to the same double?

Sponsored Links
You can upgrade the single socket on the spur to a double socket or you can fit another socket on the same spur. However, the FCU must have a 13A fuse.

Thank you, that's the reply I was hoping for :)

The previous occupants had both appliances plugged into the single socket, using an old double adaptor. It seemed a bit dodgy to me.

dishwashers and washing machines are both high-power appliances, as they have heating elements for the water. You should not plug them both into the same double socket, or it will overheat.

You will not be able to put them both on the same FCU or the fuse will blow when they are both in use at the same time.

Sponsored Links
...wouldn't that depend on the power consumption JohnD? I don't know, I'm just asking. I'm guessing a typical washer would be around 500W and Dishwasher 1500W. 9 Amps total?

xAlex, those figures are so wrong! lol.

Both a DW and a WM often are rated at 2500w or above. Of course they wont use the full load for the whole cycle, but their supplies should be able to handle it.

Hi all,

Thank you for replying. :)

Can I just confirm, so I'm sure I've understood. I could upgrade the FCU's single socket to a double, but I still wouldn't be able to have them plugged in there because they each use up to 13 amps and that's the total I can have through the FCU.

So, can I add another FCU + single socket for the DW from my present double socket?

Thanks JohnD :)

I guess I'm back to square 1.

Just out of curiosity (and for fear of seeming really stupid.....). If the spur wasn't there at all, I would have automatically plugged both the DW and WM into the double wall socket, and thought nothing of it. The spur then just gives me an alternative to using one of the sockets, rather than providing me with additional power. I'm assuming this mean that I can still plug the DW in at the wall and the WM in the single, and have them running at the same time, as I'm doing now, but, as an example, I can't use the kettle as well because one of the sockets of the double socket is already being used by the WM in the single?

Sorry, did that sound confusing???? Just checking because I'm sure there must be loads of people who just plug anything into a free socket without realising it might not be safe to do so.

I can still plug the DW in at the wall and the WM in the single, and have them running at the same time, as I'm doing now, but, as an example, I can't use the kettle as well because one of the sockets of the double socket is already being used by the WM in the single?

that's right.

a kettle is less of a prob because (1) i is only on for a minute or two (2) you may plug it in at a time when the washer heater is not warming the water.

Of course, none of this is really a problem unless you run the dishwasher and washing machine at the same time. There's no law or regulation (that I'm aware of) to stop you plugging them both into a double S/O, it just isn't good practice. If they are both behind the FCU then you will blow a fuse before you cause any damage.

The double socket above the worktop is fed by 2 cables. Its on a ring. Your socket below the worktop is fed by only 1 cable, on a spur, which means that the spurred cable has only half the current carrying capacity of the sockets on the ring, which is why it must have the 13A fuse to protect it from overload.

A 13A fuse on a 230V supply will carry 3kW continuously.

As JohnD has said, you run the risk of overloading the spur. However, the 13A fuse will give you the required protection and, depending on the ratings of the 2 machines, you might not blow the fuse. If I were you, I would check the data labels on the 2 machines and calculate the total load. You now have the information to make a decision.

For a little bit of mess why not just extend the ring to include a double socket below the work surface for the DW & WM?

Perhaps I to am suffering from egititis and have not read the situation properly, it just seems to make sense to me :rolleyes:

I'm much wiser now.

Thank you all for the info, and your patience :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back