chandlier & old black/brown wiring, no neutral. Safe?

[quote="densamember";p="1758769
I'm fine with all of this, and freely accept that there are regional, trade ETC variations in 'slang' terminology however I don't believe I have ever heard it referred to as VRI [AFAIC thats a variable reactance inductor] so I have just done a quick google search, VRI came up with 33,000 results and vir came up with 1,300,300 results though I did not look at any of the results to see what they are or which is the more correct.
I agree that plugtop is wrong and even worse plugsocket. I hate it when I hear electricians using the terms and will not use them myself.

This is sent as a friendly discussion

Despite what the search brings up, long ago when doing C and G parts 1 and 2, even then the tutor would remind us of the correct term. Check with the Approved document for part P, page 37 on Electrical Safety - Vulcanised Rubber Insulated (VRI) cables, this gives the history of this cable and reasons for replacing. (Vulcanised Insulated Rubber Cable - doesn't gel) :)

Regards

Sponsored Links
Well Jaymack I have now done a bit of an internet trawl and there does appear to be discrepancy on this issue. I find many references to both abbreviations and then a whole range of different names to go with those, and thats on 'official' sites as well as others like this one, screwfix etc.
As an example:-
http://www.voltimum.co.uk/search/vri+cable.html
Then click on VRI cables

I have checked in my old PO training papers which refers to Vulcanised India Rubber wire & cable and that seems to be the most popular name elsewhere.
I will stay with my understanding of this as that is where my training put me and until now I am unaware of ever knowing of VRI in this context.
I'm happy to accept the difference of opinion on this, here and in my working environment now that I'm aware of it.
There is no point in in pursuing this further as the 2 sides will never change at this late stage on a system that became obsolescent 50 years ago and propose a hand shake on the matter.

Sponsored Links
YMBJ.

A 6' length of 7/.036 each, and you flail at each other at dawn until one of you dies. At least.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back