Simple wiring of chandelier for a simpleton?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new to this, and new to the forum.

I am sure this is like breathing for most of you, but I want to make sure I get it right....

I have one cable sticking through my ceiling, it has three wires in it, one black, one red, and an unsleeved earth.... the red and black were connected to a lampholder (no rose), and the earth was not connected to anything. I want to wire a chandelier, which has a blue, a brown and an earth wire individually sleeved, to the cable.

I have lifted floorboards above, and fitted a noggin to take the weight if the light. I have purchased a 15A terminal block/connector, and some green and yellow insulation tape.

My plan was (after fixing chandelier to noggin, with wiring threaded into ceiling void), to wire black to blue and red to brown through the connector, and earth to earth? Wiring all to sit in ceiling void.

Once again apologies for asking such a basic question. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Use sleeving, not tape for the earth wire. The connection needs to be inside an enclosure such as a chock box, available from most DIY sheds.
Is the wiring from the chandelier insulated and sheathed (like an appliance flex) or is it single insulated (just the inner cores)? Can you upload a photo of it?
I ask as you are not meant to use single insulated wires outside some sort of enclosure.

Hi Spark,

Thanks for your quick reply...

Yes, wires from chandelier are individually insulated and then bundled together and sheathed again.

SO, sheath to earth wires, all wired as I mentioned below, including earth to earth within 15A connector. Pop into chock box, into ceiling void. Screw in bulbs, power back on, feet up with a cup of tea?

Can the connectors be housed in the rose?

If they are accessible, this is better. Otherwise, you have to lift the carpet and boards to access them.

Sponsored Links
This might be a useful alternative:

as it would make it easy to take the light down for any reason.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back