Adding inhibitor to Ideal Logic Heat 15/Range Tribube HE unvented system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have an unvented central heating system with an Ideal Logic Heat 15 and a Range Tribube HE invented cylinder with 16 radiators. My intention is to add 2 litres of Sentinel X100 as I recently drained down the system following some pipe work repairs.

All of my reading has suggested that I need to add the inhibitor via the filling loop which is located next to the cylinder. A few videos suggest that I can use the quick dose cans which are around £20 for 300ml so I’d need around 6 at £120 or I can buy 2x 1l bottles for around £20.

Is adding via the filling loop the right approach for this system and if so, how do I go about doing it if u use the 1l bottles, can I simply semi drain the system, remove the filling loop, pour into the inlet and refill or is an element of pressure required when dosing?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Sponsored Links
Sentinel say:
Sealed Systems: If the system is empty, add to any convenient point before filling. If full, use a Sentinel Dosing Vessel to inject via the filling loop or other access point.
You'd need the Dosing Vessel https://www.sentinelprotects.com/uk/products/sentinel-dosing-vessel to push the inhibitor into a sealed system under pressure.

But, in a sealed fully pumped system it surely matters not where the inhibitor is added?
It'll get diluted and pumped around all the radiators, pipework, HW tank and boiler eventually.

I'd just part-drain down a convenient radiator or towel rail and fill that with the inhibitor myself. Just ensuring that rad is then left on full bore for a good length of time while the circulating pump runs such that it must be all mixed in.

But then I've never used inhibitor before re-filling this system after a mouse attack of the plastic pipework and I added it to the new radiators replacing low heat output chrome towel rails.

A Pro may be along in a moment to correct me (but Sentinel's own video shows the same being done with the dosing vessel pumping the fluid in to a radiator).

Thanks buddy. I had seen numerous articles about adding via a towel rail which would be much easier. I may just take that route.

Close both valves on any convenient radiator, which you know has circulation to it. Drain a quantity of water from the radiator, by carefully loosening a valve from the radiator, and catch what comes out in a bowl with plenty of old towels around.

Completely remove a plug from the top of the radiator, to enable the X100 to be poured in. Remake the previously loosened valve connection, pour the X100 in followed by reseating the plug. Open both valves, and run your system as normal, following the instructions of the X100.

Sponsored Links
If you have a vertical towel rail with bleed valve / blanking plug on top, its even easier.
1. Close both radiator valves (noting the number of 1/8 turns required to closed).
2. Remove the plug or the whole insert containing bleed screw.
3. Syphon out as much water as you can, say 1 litre. Try and avoid getting it in your mouth!
4. Replace plug, open valves, run system for 10 minutes.
5. Repeat 1 to 4 as often as necessary to get inhibitor in.

Hi,
I have an unvented central heating system with an Ideal Logic Heat 15 and a Range Tribube HE invented cylinder with 16 radiators. My intention is to add 2 litres of Sentinel X100 as I recently drained down the system following some pipe work repairs.

All of my reading has suggested that I need to add the inhibitor via the filling loop which is located next to the cylinder. A few videos suggest that I can use the quick dose cans which are around £20 for 300ml so I’d need around 6 at £120 or I can buy 2x 1l bottles for around £20.

Is adding via the filling loop the right approach for this system and if so, how do I go about doing it if u use the 1l bottles, can I simply semi drain the system, remove the filling loop, pour into the inlet and refill or is an element of pressure required when dosing?

Thanks in advance,

Ben
Do you have a Magnaclean or similar? Most systems have one nowadays. Ideal for dosing inhibitor and for sampling the system water for a wire nail test.

I don’t sadly. The house was built in 2012 so potentially before these became commonplace in builds.

If you use a rad, remove plug opposite to the one with the vent screw after draining down the required few litres. I just screw a 15mm elbow a few turns into the plug hole but open the vent screw on the other side fully otherwise it can be difficult to pour the inhibitor into the rad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back