adding mcb for garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved. There is garage linked to the house.

Main box in the house.( There isn't mcb for the garage.)

Rcd box in the garage but no power at all.

On main panel, there is "spare" place. Dose it mean that I am able

to add Mcb? Is this "spare" place for the garage?

Appriciate advice.

============
Photos added, moderator 9

Sponsored Links
Seems odd that there is a consumer unit in garage and not connected. One asks why? As to question "Can I" well likely yes but the LABC charges may mean it will be cheaper to use an electrician who is member of a scheme.

I would expect to find some existing wiring but the fact it is disconnected one must ask why. It could be that there is a fault on it some where so before connecting the system needs testing.

Inspection and testing as well as knowledge requires the use of special meters which can cost around £75 just to hire. Then you need to know how to use them. Even as an electrician I don't like connecting up blocks of wiring without some history.

For all we know the guy before may have had machines galore and when he moved out he may have left wires in all sorts of places unprotected. He has left it safe by disconnecting the lot. If you reconnect you must ensure there are no wires which are unsafe as a result.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back