Adding EV charging point to garage supply.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I need to replace the old fuse box in the garage with a CU and at the same time install a load balancing a fast charge outlet for electric vehicle.
Current installation has a sub panel in the house (40A) with type B MCBs: 20A for kitchen sockets and 32A for the garage supply. Main board is double RCD 80A/ 63A and DNO fuse is 100A.
10mm SWA cable underground to garage, approx 15m.
Plan is to move the kitchen sockets on to the main board (there is a spare), replace the adjacent garage sub panel for a 63A RCD panel with a 50A MCB, and replace the old fuse box in the garage with similar panel but with a 6A, a 16A and two 40A (one for the EV and one for the office that runs off this fuse box). For clarity, the supply is:
  1. DNO
  2. 100A fuse
  3. single rate meter (hopefully to be replaced with a smart meter ASAP)
  4. Henley block
  5. from Henley block to main CU (100A SVMS) with two RCDs: one 80A 30mA and one 63A 30mA.
  6. also from Henley block currently has second feed to sub panel with 40A 30mA RCD and two MCBs one B20 for kitchen sockets which I’ll move to main board spare, and one B32 feeding 10mm SWA cable to garage. This sub panel I’ll have to change as its only 40A rated.
  7. garage has old fuse-wire box from which are taken a lighting circuit, a ring and a second SWA that goes the to office.
Does that work, or have I missed anything?

Sponsored Links
Why do you want a smart meter? Lots of disadvantages and no advantages for you. Lots of threads on this for you to look at.

Sponsored Links
From what I am lead to understand a fast electric vehicle charging point in a domestic situation needs to monitor the power used by the home to know what is available for charging, how this is done depends on the charging point, so unless you say fitting a Zappi charger, the question can't really be answered as other makes may well use different methods to ensure the DNO fuse is not over loaded.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back