Adding 'Power' Shower into Basement Flat with Existing Combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I do love a bit of plumbing but I am out of my depth with this one :oops:

My scenario:

- Basement flat (so limited scope for vertical drops)
- in old Victorian house with 3 other flats (low pressure? dunno - seems ok but I ain't measured it yet...)
- Existing combi (Bosch/Worcester) runs CH and supplies HW to taps
- Only room for two adults in the flat

So how do I get the dogs doo-dahs shower?

I think my options are either:
- Settle for an un-pumped mixer shower off the Combi HW supply and mains cold
- Fit an Unvented Cylinder dedicated to the shower :confused:
- Go next door

I don't really understand about UV cylinders - been trying to read around tonight but I'm struggling to get the picture. Could it work for me, or is it a bit inefficient just for 2-3 showers a day? (I presume you have to keep it full of hot water all day just in case you want a shower). Are they heated electrically? Can I fill it from the Combi to get a head-start? Have I missed anything obvious and stupid?

Thanks muchly in advance for any help,
Matt

Sponsored Links
- in old Victorian house with 3 other flats.........

This really typifies todays social stupidity. Here is one of tens of thousands of similar buildings (a house), all converted to multiple dwellings,....ALL WITH A SEPERATE HEATING SYSTEM FOR EACH UNIT!!!! How clever is that in the fuel saving scheme of things? Messrs Prescott and Beckett please note!! I will accept written submissions from either of you by start of school tomorrow.

Sorry ponyman, must get off hobby-horse. An unvented cylinder is just a HW tank at high pressure (say 3.5 bar) instead of header tank pressure (perhaps up to 1 bar). I'd say it would be inefficient to use one, as you say.
They are available with immersion heaters and/or heating a coil. A shower off the combi is one solution, but forget the power-shower performance. (They should be banned anyway, as we were bombarded with how much more socially responsible it was to take a shower instead of a bath, and there's plenty of power-showers can use loads more water than a bath. (Prescott/Beckett, please comment for an extra 5 marks.)

A standard electric shower is a reasonable solution, and gives some independance of boiler breakdowns.

oilman said:
....ALL WITH A SEPERATE HEATING SYSTEM FOR EACH UNIT!!!! How clever is that in the fuel saving scheme of things?
Right on oilman. Since we all own the freehold in this building I had been idly pondering about suggesting some kind of shared heating system. There was probably a really good one for the whole building until some monkey developer ripped it out in the 70s...

oilman said:
An unvented cylinder is just a HW tank at high pressure (say 3.5 bar) instead of header tank pressure (perhaps up to 1 bar). I'd say it would be inefficient to use one, as you say.
Inefficient because we'd be under-using it? Would you normally run your CH off it as well then, or just have it in a bigger household?

oilman said:
They are available with immersion heaters and/or heating a coil.
I presume that means no 'hot water on demand' - I have to have it keeping the tank warm all day long just in case, yep? How long do they take to heat up - are they as big as old-skool immersion-heater tanks?

oilman said:
A shower off the combi is one solution, but forget the power-shower performance.
:( aw. is that for definite? With piping hot combi HW and a fairly strong CW pressure, we can run a bath pretty quick with cold tap wide open and some HW mixed in. Could that mean a decent shower, or are pressure and flow rate two different things where showering's concerned?

oilman said:
there's plenty of power-showers can use loads more water than a bath.
:D I have a notion to try and re-use the shower waste water for flushing the bog, if that makes you feel any better!

oilman said:
A standard electric shower is a reasonable solution
I do really like the idea of redundancy if the boiler knacks, but my problem with these showers is that, in my experience, they are puny and ugly. I can't seem to find any of this sort where the gubbins (normally in a nasty white box) can be concealed behind a panel. Do they exist?

cheers oilman,
Matt

Inefficient because we'd be under-using it?

Yes

Would you normally run your CH off it as well then, or just have it in a bigger household?

You could look at thermal stores if you want to run the heating from a heat bank, but they are usually for bigger households.

How long do they take to heat up - are they as big as old-skool immersion-heater tanks?

Same time as the older tanks. (Give or take a bit).

I have a notion to try and re-use the shower waste water for flushing the bog

Great, just don't get it the wrong way round :D

I can't seem to find any of this sort where the gubbins (normally in a nasty white box) can be concealed behind a panel. Do they exist?
We've got a Mira Advance. I don't think it's ugly, but you could always fit an extention to the control knob and hide it behind a panel.

Sponsored Links
I have seen electric showers, where the unit fits in a cuboard and all you get in the bathroom is a flush control panel on the wall, cant remember the make sorry.

Triton do one for £250 or so , 10 kW. So stick with your combi which will be at least 24kW, giving you say 9 l/min. My shower goes up to 18l/min but I always use it on "low"!

Stuff the bog, cobble up a system to make your shower waste water heat the incoming main to the shower!

.........cobble up a system to make your shower waste water heat the incoming main to the shower!

THEN use it for flushing.

Thanks ChrisR,

ChrisR said:
Triton do one for £250 or so , 10 kW. So stick with your combi which will be at least 24kW, giving you say 9 l/min.

hmmm... this seems to go against oilman's warning to 'forget power shower performance' from the combi.

Which will get closer to taking my skin off chaps? The 24kW combi or a 10kW electric box?

don't say neither - that's not funny ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back