Adding radiators?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new single storey extension that I need to add two radiators to. While I'm confident with most aspects of plumbing, I'd like some advice on CH systems please.

The nearest radiator to the two new rooms is the upstairs bathroom. Is it as easy as tee-ing off from the feed to this radiator & running the pipes under the floor & down into the extension then bring ing the return back up from the extension & tee-ing into the existing upstairs bathroom radiator?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sorry my fault read it as through you said it was easy to tee in to the pipes. Obviously you will be draining the heating, then yes it is a simple job to tee off the 2 pipes above and do as you say. If you have a open vented system (tanks in loft and cylinder) then it can be a bit of a pain getting the air out of the pipework afterwards and you may struggle, if you have a combi then you should have to problems.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Fortunately the two 15mm pipes feeding the existing upstairs radiator had a stop valve about 2 feet away from the bathroom radiator, so by isolating those and the radiator I should only lose about 4 feet worth of water!

However, I've just managed to find an old post suggesting that I might have problems unless I tee off from the 22mm feed pipes from the boiler.

What I have suggested would be:

Existing upstairs radiator (500mm x 600mm) fed straight from 22mm feed with 15mm pipe. Tee off from those 15mm pipes with 15mm & drop downstairs to 1x 500mm x 600mm and 1x 1000mm x 600mm radiators then return back upstairs & tee into existing upstairs radiator return, which then feeds back into 22m return to boiler. The new run of pipework would be around 22feet feed and 22 feet return.

As the 22mm feed & return pipes are only about 4 feet away from the upstairs radiator would I be better off tee-ing into those?

No you can come off the 15mm pipes, it will be ok, as at present you only have one small radiator being fed from the 22mm pipes, so adding 2 more radiators to the 15mm pipes will be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back