Adding RCD Protection to This Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to add RCD protection to this garage consumer unit. It’s a sub main that is running off the Henley block and not connected into the main CU.

I can’t find any RCBO’s for this make. I have come across these RCD’s

Perhaps it would be easiest to replace the Mains Switch with an RCD?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 2CCAF607-5C0D-4CC4-97D5-4233A5FC2261.jpeg
    2CCAF607-5C0D-4CC4-97D5-4233A5FC2261.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 6716FEBB-CDB7-4DEC-81C2-8CDFB7BB35EA.jpeg
    6716FEBB-CDB7-4DEC-81C2-8CDFB7BB35EA.jpeg
    204.5 KB · Views: 78
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Firstly, if it is a submain taken from the Henley block, there should be a switch fuse unit ot mini consumer unit at the house end.

HOPEFULLY you have this.

If you have this, there may be RCD protection here, or there may not be.

Sponsored Links
Good point, Can you post a photo of where it splits Jupiter?

Photo please.
I would like to add RCD protection to this garage consumer unit. It’s a sub main that is running off the Henley block and not connected into the main CU.

Perhaps it would be easiest to replace the Mains Switch with an RCD?

Thanks in advance.
Yes, if there’s no RCD protection at the source end.
Also, at the source end there should be a switch fuse. Is there? What value fuse?

Photo please.

Yes, if there’s no RCD protection at the source end.
Also, at the source end there should be a switch fuse. Is there? What value fuse?
There is the 100 amp cut out fuse but that's for the incoming supply as I understand it. If I switch off the main consumer unit using the main switch, the garage continues to have power. There is no isolator switch in the meter box but as it happens, this is due to be installed. I am guessing once this isolator is in place, I could isolate here and then replace the main switch in the garage with the suggested RCD or alternatively, replace the garage CU. Are both these options valid?

Also, if I wanted to do this before the mains isolator switch is fitted, I assume its a case of DNO coming out to pull the fuse and then reconnecting it?

Thanks for your help.

This sounds all sorts of wrong.
from your description (this is why I ask for photos) the trail looks like this
incoming supply fuse > meter tail > Henley block
then two connections to henley
1 > to house cu
2 > cable to garage

questions
what sort of cable connects the garage to the Henley block?
where is the fuse protecting the garage cable ?
where is the isolating switch for the garage cable?

Last edited:
I agree with @Taylortwocities your description seems as if no overload protection for the supply cable into the garage, so ringing alarm bells.

However thinking how my own home was, with an integral garage where the power from the DNO fuse to the garage CU was shorter than the power to house CU both under a meter long, we could be getting the wrong end of the stick.

So photos please.

Let’s play devils advocate. Suppose the cable to the garage is T&E and just buried in the ground.
Along comes Monty Don snd chops the cable with his shiny spade.
The cable is protected by the 100A service fuse….not by anything in the garage CU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back