Adding senitnol x100 to open vented heating system

Actually, I don't have a problem with advice being challenged.

I don't even have a problem with the OP arguing with, or even rejecting, the advice.

What's hard to accept is that he gave the impression, at the outset, of being willing to listen to reason. However, he revealed quite late a motive for not draining. The motive wasn't a well thought-out one.

In case it's of interest, the reason I'm in favour of fully draining, especially on an unfamiliar system, is that you get the chance to see what comes out, as well as some other interesting potential faults. For example, lobbing some MB-1 in the F&E when the cold feed is blocked means an instant loss of about £20, unless you bale out the contents, filter it, and preserve it.

A pro will fully drain an unfamiliar and previously unprotected system in order to find the drain off, find (or add) a reliable means of shutting off the supply to the F&E, renew the drain off washer, check the water quality, and check the cold feed, and he will do this because 1 in 20 systems will have a blocked cold feed, 1 in 2 will have a cracked/brittle/missing drain off washer, 1 in 10 will be quirky to refill, and almost all will actually need a dose of cleanser before even considering adding an inhibitor.

Sponsored Links
Softus,

Please don't take my comments as an assault on you.

Given the chance to work on the system then i would do the same as i could then leave with the knowledge that the sysytem is 100% sound when i left it.

All i was trying to say was that its obvious that the guy has limited knowledge and the less water he takes out the better otherwise the text topic started would be "drained syatem boiler overheating" etc lol

the less water he takes out the better
How so?

What if his system is already corroding, and has corrosion products circulating around the system. Do you think an inhibitor will achieve anything?

otherwise the text topic started would be "drained syatem boiler overheating" etc lol
Har de-har har.

In a system that the OP believes is unprotected (otherwise why spend £20 and waste any time on it), what do you think is the probability that it's lovely and clean inside and just needs a light sprinkling of Fernox Fairy Dust to keep it that way?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back