Adding sills to windows with none

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
First time asking a question - had a quick look and can't see anything elsewhere covering this.

My house had double glazing fitted before I purchased it but there are no external sills. We are having it painted white (it was pink pebbledash!!) and this is making the lack of sills stand out. See pic!

Is there a way of adding something that will look like sills (I.e. a fascia) without having to remove the windows etc. Any help greatly received.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Can't see why you could not put a bit of bullnose window board on there

Are there adjacent houses with similar cill-less windows?...pinenot

No they all have cills. I'm thinking the double glazing the previous owner installed was maybe not the most expensive job.

Sponsored Links
These will be Upvc I presume? you do get drop nose profile white plastic boards which would give you a drip end if if turns down some 1/2" or so from the roughcasting. This lot might be worth a try - www.plasticbuildingproducts.co.uk
...pinenot :)

A picture from above the cill maybe from out of an opener would help but from the picture it looks to me that the windows are set quite far back that and the fact the existing cills don't protrude would suggest the outside of the house has been clad with insulation and rendered/dashed over and the cills were left as they were.

Extending the cills now at this stage can be a can of worms, if the windows already have cills then ideally you could do with removing them and fitting a deeper cill but this isn't a quick job and timescale wise would be a non starter, so your left with cloaking the existing cill with some pvc fascia/windowboard cover/reveal liner, this will do the job of extending the cill perfectly but will in turn probably block the concealled drainage built into the windows, the local council here recently clad most of their council houses with 2" kingspan and rendered them, looks a nice tidy job until you see how they've extended the cills and sealed all the drainage up :eek:

ditto what mr.crank said you can get a reveal liner that is only 3mm thick that will slide under existing frame thus not blocking drainage so will work to a certain extent depends how involved you want to get really :)

ditto what mr.crank said you can get a reveal liner that is only 3mm thick that will slide under existing frame thus not blocking drainage so will work to a certain extent depends how involved you want to get really :)

The 3mm stuff (cappit board to me) could in effect slide just under the window and MAY not block the drainage too much if at all, the council round here used the 9mm foam filled stuff hence the :eek: , totally blocking the drainage holes :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back