Adding Tap to main DHW pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 22mm feed from the temperature mixing valve (off thermal store) providing DHW around the house.

I want to put a Tee into this and add a 22mm Tap to allow me to run DHW outside when required. Main use will be filling a Hot Tub a couple of times a year, as filling off HW is a lot cheaper than heating up via the built-in electrical heater (3 x cheaper)

Thinking the approach of using a 22mm full-flow ball valve to get max flow, and fit a 22mm end-feed to 1” BSP male.
I can then screw on a standard 1” BSP to hose connector and attach a hose when I need to use it.

As 22m pipe gives good flow, sticking to 22mm, rather than dropping to 15mm.

As this is no different from an internal sink tap, any of which I could attach a hose to, there is no need for double-check valves, and in any event, the incoming mains has a double-check valve & strainer fitted.
I might change the 22mm to 1”BSP to an elbow variant if they are standard items.

Any reason not to do it this way ..... happy to know if there is an easier way.

Attachments

• 22mm Tap.jpg
    22mm Tap.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 36
Sponsored Links
You wouldn't need a double check on the hot anyway, no-one should be drinking from hot taps and it's already isolated from supply.
Loads of different ways to do it, those ball valves with the big handles are pretty good. No real gain using 22mm pipework if you're using a standard garden hose though...

In my case, you can drink from Hot taps (not that we do) as it's mains pressure hot water - not stored.
The garden hose is 19mm (not smaller 15mm size) so thought the step down to 15mm would be wasting flow ? if that is not the case I'll use 15mm valve and a 3/4" BSP fitting

Sponsored Links
In my case, you can drink from Hot taps (not that we do) as it's mains pressure hot water - not stored.
The garden hose is 19mm (not smaller 15mm size) so thought the step down to 15mm would be wasting flow ? if that is not the case I'll use 15mm valve and a 3/4" BSP fitting
Might not be a bad idea to put a double-check in so you can't get any bacteria coming back from the warm/cool hosepipe then.
You'll get a bit of benefit from 22mm going to 19mm (so probably 15mm internal diameter) hose, tub should fill a bit quicker (but not much).

So which is it?
It's both ...... main pressure cold water hits one side of the stainless plate heat exchanger in the Thermal store - output is to a temperature mixing valve .... providing mains pressure hot water .... at the last outlet there is a return via a pump, so get instant mains pressure HW around the house.
The outlet of the mixing valve is 22mm and want to fit tap on that 22mm pipe.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back