adding to underground drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've tried searching the forum for an answer to this, but I can't quite find the answer I need ...

For about a year I've live in an early-90s built house - in a road of detached houses, the first of which is mine. Beyond my house is a school field.

Outside the back door, on the edge of the patio, is a shallow inspection chamber (about a foot in diameter and a foot deep) into which the toilets and kitchen waste feeds. The outlet for this points down the garden, where presumably it joins the start of the sewer pipe leading into next door, and so on through the back gardens of all the houses in the road.

Further across the patio (towards the school field, away from my neighbour) is another inspection chamber (this time a standard-looking 20-inch diameter or so). This is about 3ft deep, with an outlet but no inlets (all four available inlets are capped). The outlet points down the garden, and presumably joins up with the start of the sewer connected to the shallow chamber further along (at least, I've chucked a few buckets of water down there, and it seems to be going somewhere ... :eek:)
There are no other inspection chambers in the garden.

I've no idea why this chamber has no inlets - I can only assume that Barratt (bless 'em :rolleyes:) had this as part of the standard house spec - but because we're the first house in the road and have no neighbour on that side, there's no-one else's drain to connect into it.

So the question is - can I solve the poor drainage on my patio by connecting a couple of surface drains to this 'unused' chamber?

Sponsored Links
You will need permission from Building control.
Phone your local council and ask the question. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back