Additional Consumer units cabling

"I have part P"

What does that mean?
It means that he's done one of those short training courses which has given him the EAL Domestic Installer qualification, and now he's finding that that hasn't actually equipped him to do anything more complicated than wire houses using a "1.5mm-for-lighting-2.5mm-for-rings-6mm-for-cookers-and-10mm-for-showers" approach.

What size cable would be sufficient to feed this board.
He does electrical-installation-by-numbers.

Doesn't have a ******* clue how to do anything else, and should NOT be trading as an electrician.

Sponsored Links
I have a multi occupancy property that is large and has a main 3 phase board. I want to put a consumer unit of roughly 5 ways in each bedsit, and feed them each off this board on a 63a breaker. What size cable would be sufficient to feed this board. Each board will have 1 RCD of a rating of 63a. Will 10mm T&E suffice or does it need to be 16mm? The load in each room will be a cooker with hob, ring main with roughly 6 sockets and a small lighting circuit.

You need to consult the osg or BS7671, the cable size will depend on each bedsits distance from the main incomer and all the other cabling factors (grouping, insulation method, distance etc).

For ease of compliance with 7671 have you thought about using bedsit boards with just rcbo's in them ?

Have you thought about radials in the bedsits for the sockets, 4mm for 30 amp circuit ?

Have you considered diversity at the bedsit, maybe the demand will be less than 63 amp and thus you can have a lower main fuse and maybe get away with a smaller (swa or high tuff) feed cable.

At the head where the 3p is presented, what will you use to run off to the bedsits ?

Do you intend to fit a 3p board and fan the sub board feeds out across all 3 phases ? Are you ok with balancing ?

Are you intending to private meter each bedsit supply ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back