Additional Consumer units cabling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a multi occupancy property that is large and has a main 3 phase board. I want to put a consumer unit of roughly 5 ways in each bedsit, and feed them each off this board on a 63a breaker. What size cable would be sufficient to feed this board. Each board will have 1 RCD of a rating of 63a. Will 10mm T&E suffice or does it need to be 16mm? The load in each room will be a cooker with hob, ring main with roughly 6 sockets and a small lighting circuit.

Sponsored Links
I am planning on doing the work myself. I have Part P and have spoken to my local council so I was just after some advice rather than unhelpful wise cracks, after all, I was lead to believe that was kind of the idea behind this website!

Sponsored Links
I have a penis yes, the difference between mine and yours is that mine sees some action! You just spend your life on DIY forums thinking your really funny by making quite sad comments on posts, well I can tell you your not funny. Writing your location as Zaire, crikey, you must a really zaney person. Suppose its not exciting having to write your location as your bedroom in your moms house when you're 40 years old!? You need to get a life mate. Did you think of your username all by yourself!? I bet you thought that was well funny, a play on words using presumably your surname. What a penis!!!

Although probably not what you want to hear, the advice already given to use a qualified electrician is correct.

There is nothing wrong with DIY, or assisting people when they have questions about small projects they are doing in their home.
However the work you are describing is a major installation, and it is obvious from just from your description and questions in the original post that you should not be attempting this type of work yourself.

I am planning on doing the work myself. I have Part P and have spoken to my local council so I was just after some advice rather than unhelpful wise cracks, after all, I was lead to believe that was kind of the idea behind this website!

Funny/silly comments or not, the mere fact that you ask the question demonstrates to me that you are not suitably qualified to do this work.

I have carried out several rewires myself in the past, and never had a problem and they all get passed by bulding control. This is exactly the same. The bedsits will be just the same as any standard rewire and will conform to regs. The only difference is that instead of having 25mm tails feeding the board direct from a meter, I will be routing a cable from a dis board to supply each CU. I am competent to carry out this work, was just hoping for some advice in doing so.

I have carried out several rewires myself in the past, and never had a problem and they all get passed by bulding control. This is exactly the same.
Clearly it is not the same.

There is no such thing as a 'standard rewire'.
Assuming by 'regs' you mean the current version of BS7671, then a board with a single RCD will NOT comply.
Using T+E as a submain is poor design at best, and in this instance is almost certainly completely unsuitable.
Even if each bedsit had it's own meter, a 63A board would not need to be supplied via 25mm tails.
A 'ring main' for 6 socket outlets is ridiculous.

Aside from that, there is far more involved here than selecting the size of a few submains between the distribution board and the consumer units.

I have carried out several rewires myself in the past, and never had a problem and they all get passed by bulding control. This is exactly the same. The bedsits will be just the same as any standard rewire and will conform to regs. The only difference is that instead of having 25mm tails feeding the board direct from a meter, I will be routing a cable from a dis board to supply each CU. I am competent to carry out this work, was just hoping for some advice in doing so.

If you don't understand the comments in the replies then clearly you are not competant to carry out this work.
Even the 'standard rewire' you describe doesn't conform with latest regs, do you have a copy?

I am sorry, but if you do not know something as simple as what size cable will be suffice then you are not competant to be carrying out this work !

"I have part P"

What does that mean? Part P is a section of the Building Regulations - how can you have it?

There is no such thing as a Part P qualification, there are only qualifications that enable you (well, actually your electrical installations trading entity, not you as an individual) to join a Part P Competent Persons Scheme.

(This has, of course, been pointed out in this forum many times before)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back