Additional Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone can help.

I am looking to install a new security light on the outside of my garage.
Inside the garage there is an existing consumer unit that feeds 1x socket and 1 light/switch.

My question is, Can I convert the existing 1 way switch into a 2 gang and feed the new light from that, or

will I need to extend the circuit from the existing ceiling rose into the new security light then on to a new switch?

Or is there another/better way of doing it?

Hope this makes sense to you!

cheers

Sponsored Links
Yes you could change your existing switch to a 2 gang and power the light off that, assuming you have a functional rcd breaker in your consumer unit. Personally I would change the single plug socket to a double and power it via a plug, assuming its the sensor type spotlight im thinking of(when the switch is only really used for maintenance)but be sure to change the plug fuse to a 5 amp. Note I am not an electrician so a proffesionals second on this post may be required (UK)

If I were to go for the 2 Gang switch option,
can you tell me how I would wire up the outside light within the switch?

cheers

first u need to run a neutral to the new light which can be found in ur existing ligh.
U link the two commons in the sw and connect ur existing rd wire to these two commons. connect ur existing blak to L2 and run another cable from other L2 of sw to ur new light and mark this with red tape to indicate switched live.

Sponsored Links
Check what cables you have at your switch ...
there's a possibility that the feed from the consumer unit goes to the switch first then up to the light. If this is the case then there will be a nuetral joint behind the switch and it is only a case of running your new cable to the security light from the switch.

To wire you would connect your Black cable in along with the other 2-blacks (nuetral joint), the Red into L1 of the 2-gang switch and loop the 2-commons of both switches
together ..otherwise follow the previous reply!

I assume that you are in the UK!!! as USA cable colours are different!

I should have mentioned in previous reply that L2 used to be the terminal used in switches for 1-way applications but for some reason they have now opted for the L1 terminal ...so if you are buying and fitting a new switch then it's very likely that L1 and NOT L2 will be the required terminal, Check the switch wiring diagram on the intructions.

The switch would still work on L2 but it will be upside down!

Yes, I would do the same, change ths single socket to a double one but if you also buy a fused spur you can wire this into the double socket and then wire the security light into the fused spur leaving the double socket free.
Don't forget to reduce the fuse in the fused spur to 3-5Amp.
Also you could put another breaker in the consumer unit, say 5amp mcb and have the sucurity light on its own circuit, you will need an electrician for this.
reguards jrm

If I can add a reply to this, I happen to have fitted an outside security lamp for my garage and neighbours too.

Kill the power from the main consumer unit in garage, convert the single socket to a double using a special white converted box and patrice unit http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=44318&id=12849
Once this is in place, simply wire up a 13amp plug (mind and fit a 5amp fuse first) to the live netural and earth. At the Security lamp end side, follow the instructions on the wiring of the new cable to the termination (chocolate block) in the Light.
Once done, switch on the mains and then "plug and play".
It should work no probs!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back