Adjust fire for wood stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

The wife is after a wood burner so I have done some investigations into the chimney as it would ideally be a wider and higher opening. Here is what I currently have and the red line is the proposed size.

Is it time to consult a builder? :(

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think with that oak beam above the fireplace near the roof it would be a shame not to use one in the fireplace. The brick work looks like an apprentice did it so def a good idea to get a bricky in and get it sorted. Make it as big as you can it makes fitting the fire easier also they get bloody hot :)

Is that a true, purpose built chimney with a lined flue and the correct terminal for a solid fuel fire? Was it part of the original new build?
There are two metal vent air bricks suggesting a high rated gas fire was in use - there's a restrictor elbow at the front left. What size Kw burner do you have in mind?
Its good practice to remove & cap redundant gas pipes at source - usually a Tee branch.
The original lintel was probably up against the good brick, about 15 - 16 courses high.
Given the cavities in the chimney breast cheeks & the probable need to Acrow Strongboy the face of the chimney breast for the new lintel it would be best to get in a professional.
Call a HETAS to advise you or perhaps do the work.
You must work to Mfr's Inst's for dimensions, dont start guessing about the size of the opening.

Looks like you may have a precast fireplace lintel with integral throat on which the liners are sitting.
As stated above you need to get some on site advice before you go taking anything away.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all.

As far as I know this is all original to the house, built mid-nineties (only moved in 6 in months ago). The throat (gather) supports the liners and also the front facing wall as far as I can see.

The restrictor elbow was capped off at the restrictor last week, and I'm planning to get it totally removed from that area.

The new stove is planned around 5kw. The existing fire was gas.

Putting in the lintel for the front facing bricks is easy enough, it's the concrete liners that I am unsure off. As the chimney will be getting a stainless steel liner (needs one for a wood burning stove s far as I can tell from research on-line) I was thinking of doing away with throat and installing something similar to the below with the two lintels and support block.....

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back