Help needed woodburning stove/.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any help would be much appreciated.

I am installing a multifuel stove 4 KW. Chimney is clay lined and house only 20 years old. Bulilding control have advised no liner needed asth flue is in excellent condition. Now th problem.
The flue is not central with the fireplace and is in fact several inches to the left. The stove pipe will therefore not go straight up into the clay liner.

Two ways I thought of overcoming.
1. fit the register plate into the throat which is wider than the flue. and seal register plate with fire cement. Stoive pipe will then discharge slightly to the right of the actual flue liner into the original throat cavity. The throat is in good condition and angled into the clay liner.

2. Use a bend in the stove pipe. Although I am not sure I have room for it. Obviously need to be less than 45 degrees.

Anyone any suggestions or have come across this before? Obviously it will need to comply with building regulations when building control come to sign it off.

THANKS
BOB

Sponsored Links
I think you should try to get someone to make you a special bend. Ask the flue pipe supplier, or get a short section and take it to a steel fabricator and ask them to modify it.
It might cost a bit, but you're a bit stuck otherwise.

If you have the space, use 2x30 degree bends to get the stove pip to enter the chimney centrally.

Would there be enough room above the register plate to fit a short length of flexible liner to the top of the stove pipe?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for those replies. I think a bend of some sort is the way to go just a couple of question to any of you knowledgeable people.
1. Is there a minimum height above the stove you can put in a bend. I know 45 degrees is the max angle in part J but cannot find a height.
2. is a flexible liner acceptable between the stove and clay liner or does it need to be solid stove pipe, again with a bend.

I want to do it correctly for my own peace of mind and for building control.

Again thanks for the ideas and any further advice greatly appreciated.

BOB

Building regs don't get involved in things like flue lengths or materials - these are specified by British Standards and by the appliance manufacturer. Building control has no way of knowing what will work with any particular appliance whilst the manufacturer must carry out stringent tests and provide certification that a certain flue will work.

I know of no common restriction on flue pipe (stove pipe) length and the material can certainly be from any BS standard material - and that includes flexible liner. But you should really check with the stove manufacturer for a definitive answer.

The stove pipe should be vertical for 600mm before any bend, max 45%.
There should be a cleaning eye on the bend.

I have a short 15 degree bend, angled backwards, directly out of the top on my woodburner. Never had any problems.

HRH

In fact I do know some manufacturers state a maximum of about 600mm or sometimes 800mm from stove to register plate. That is to prevent too much heat loss in that space which might cool the gases too much before it hits the chimney, which can cause condensation.

The cleaning eye can be in the register plate.

Thanks for all your help. Particularly John. Have now got an adjustable s.steel piece of pipe from the stove manufacturers that twists to all angles very useful but very expensive. Anyhow works well and only ended up with about 20degree angle. Just a final qestion what do you all think is the best for sealing the stove pipe to clay liner high temp. silicone fire cement, rope, or is there any spray products like the foam used for insulation but for high temp applications. as the liner is 7'' and the s.pipe 6'' the gap is quite big.

Thanks again.

BOB

The stove pipe should be sealed to the register plate with a clamping ring, so it doesn't need to be sealed to the liner.

I didn't think you could use a flible pipe as a flue? I thought it had to be rigid

ta

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back