Do I need to remove stove register plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I had some damage to the top if my chimney which I've now repaired and terminated the flexi liner from my wood burner properly at the top.
I am sure there is no damage to the flexi liner, it was just a lot of small bits of cement and dusty cr@p that fell down and I believe is now probably sat on top of the register plate above the stove, as some dust has come through into the fireplace round the edges of the plate.
Question is do I need to worry about this? If so I am assuming I need to somehow remove this plate and remove all the debris, I can see it's got some screw fixings holding it on, but I can't see how I'd move it down as there's a collar round the vertical flue pipe coming up from the stove that seems to be tight up against underneath the plate (see pic).
Any clue what to do here, do I need to remove the stove?
Not sure whether it's OK to have bits of brick/mortar/old ash debris in contact with the bottom of the flue liner (I'm assuming possible fire risk hence this post)
any advice appreciated......

Cheers
John

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 101
Sponsored Links
It'll be fine left alone. Back in the days of open fires, soot could be caught fire but only from naked flames going too far up a chimney that needed sweeping. That's my experience.

Cheers Nige, I've just heard a lot of people say that the heat of woodburners up the chimney is so much more than a normal open fire. If thats the case though then fine I'll light it later and hopefully not make a 999 call :ROFLMAO:

If the debris fell down and hit the register plate, then that suggest there's no insulation round the the liner, but as there is a liner there, then the debris is sitting on the register plate, and doing nothing, so no problem, If there's a square hole in the register plate that has screws in it, then that's there to allow the chimney to be swept (assuming no liner), but if there's screws around the edge of the register plate, then don't touch them, or the whole lot will come down.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. There are screws around the edge of the plate, there are no other openings in it, it’s a solid piece.
The liner isn’t insulated, or at least it certainly isn’t at the top as far down as I can see, and I’m pretty sure it wasn’t as I was there when they installed it last year.
So the consensus is I’m ok to leave it, I guess only other option is to get the people who fitted it last year to give it the once over but I’ve not got the spare cash that they’ll fleece me for at the mo.
Thanks
John

have you take the stove apart, and checked that nothing went down the liner.

No, didn’t think of that, any idea how hard that is to do? It’s possible the odd bit went down the liner

You'll need the instructions for the stove, but the baffles come out in a certain order, and once the top one is out, you'll see if there's any debris in there. On mine, you take out the rear baffle, then lift the side ones before they#'ll come out, and then drop the top one down.

Thanks I’ll have a look, I lit it earlier though before you suggested that and all appears good so far (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back