flue line unbroken through register plate to inset stove

30 Apr 2006
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am just prepping an inset stove installation and looking at options available.

Q1. Can a new flue liner in an existing chimney pass through the register plate without cutting and attaching it to the plate and connect directly to the inset stove ( I plan to backfill the void between chimney and liner).

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
I'm guessing you're not HETAS registered? If you were, you'd know the answer to this, as you're apparently not you shouldn't be fitting a stove.

All I'll say is... register plate with an inset stove? Are you sure?
Hi Muggles

Thanks for your kind reply, HETAS, of course not thats why I am asking, I want to make sure the recommendations made to me are correct so I can get the right person for the job.

Yes Register plate as the old flue is completely open to the cavity where the stove is (uniq23).

So the liner will either come straight down to the stove top without a register plate and therefore I cannot backfill.

It passes straight through a register plate so I can back fill, less connections, less jointing, less to go wrong an cheaper due to fewer fittings.

Or it terminates at the register plate and is then connected to the stove with a stove pipe so I can backfill.

The right person for the job is a HETAS registered person.

You do not need and should not have a register plate for an inset stove, but you must backfill the installation from the bottom all the way to the top.

If you connect flexi straight to the stove it will most likely burn through, there must be a piece of rigid connecting pipe of the approved type on there first.

Also, make sure you buy the correct 904 grade liner
Sponsored Links
Thanks muggles

Here are the instructons, it shows flexi liner direct to stove.

904 is expensive, yet has a longer life, I have read that some 904's can be lower quality than 316, how does one check and do you have a link to a good flexible flue liner supplier, I am providing the materials.

So it does, and maybe in Denmark that is an acceptable way to connect it, but we're in the UK and the rules are different.

Where have you read that 904 might be lower grade than 316? Can you send a link please, I'd love to see their reasoning. The numbers relate to the type of stainless steel used, so it should all be the same, just make sure the stuff you buy carries the relevant British Standards approval, or better still let your installer buy it as they will supply something they are happy to use, and might well be able to get it cheaper too. I use a local over-the-counter flue and chimney specialist supplier and they don't deal online
Sorry for the thread resurrection - how have you found The uniq 23 inset? It's one of the models that we're considering so would be grateful for any feedback.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local