Stove Register Plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a wood burning stove into an existing fireplace. The chimney has been swept and smoke bombed and confirmed I don't need a liner. Building Control have been out and confirmed they will sign off the stove as part of my kitchen extension.

I have bolted angle iron brackets inside the chimney and now I need to sort out a Register plate to fix to them.

I understand that the plate should be 1.5mm galvanised steel and I am thinking of buying one ready fabricated off eBay and cutting it to size. The Flue pipe is 5" diameter. The last time I saw a register plate (which was in mild steel) it had an upstand welded around the flue opening to enable a rope seal to be pressed in. However it appears that galvanised register plates available ready made do not have an upstand around the flue hole. Something to do with welding Galvanised is a pita.

I could make an upstand myself from mild steel and pop rivet it in place or is there another way I can seal around the flue pipe as it passes through the register plate ? eg; any kind of flexible sealant ?

Also, what's the preferred way of sealing around the edge of the register plate where it fastens to the angle iron / brickwork ? Fire cement or some sort of flexible sealant ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
I use a high temperature silicone for both applications here.....it tends to pong a bit for a while, but doesn't drop out as readily as fireclay cement.
If its a biggish register plate I also cut and plate an access door so I can vacuum away any debris that falls down the chimney - which also helps with the sweeping, of course.
John :)

Thanks John, yes the ready made register plate comes with an access plate for sweeping etc

What brand of silicone do you use, can I get it from Screwfix ?

I've used Toolstation 67819 but I'm sure Screwfix will have an equivalent. This was fine for the register plate but not so good where the flue pipe exits the stove......I used fire clay cement there, but that crumbled away too!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that video. So he uses 2 rope seals, 1 either side of the register plate with the lower one tight against the stove pipe and siliconed to the underside of the register plate. That'll do it, thanks :)

Last edited:
I'd seriously consider a liner, unless you are going to be extremely careful with the quality of what you burn. They don't cost that much and signifantly reduce the risk of chimney fire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back