Free Standing Gas Stove - Is Register Plate Required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would really appreciate some advice before we let our gas fitter in to connect up our new Yeomans CL5 gas stove. He is HETAS certified but has not given us totally accurate advice so far (regarding the hearth).

Our chimney was a strange diagonal design which is apparently used occasionally to save space with the ajoining house (1850s). Therefore the chimney space was deemed completely unusable by our gas installer, and it has been boarded up (so a flat chimney breast with no recess). The flue will connect to the chimney.

Can someone please advise how the flue will go into the wall and whether a register plate is used? How is the flue insulated from the plaster board that has been used to board the chimney?

We received the free installation pack with the stove, which comes with a "galvanised stainless steel register plate (1000mm x 500mm with a thickness of 1.5mm)".

Will that just sit behind the stove looking ugly? If so, how can it be cut down/what are the minimum dimensions?

Sponsored Links
I would really appreciate some advice before we let our gas fitter in to connect up our new Yeomans CL5 gas stove. He is HETAS certified but has not given us totally accurate advice so far (regarding the hearth).

Our chimney was a strange diagonal design which is apparently used occasionally to save space with the ajoining house (1850s). Therefore the chimney space was deemed completely unusable by our gas installer, and it has been boarded up (so a flat chimney breast with no recess). The flue will connect to the chimney.
How do you mean diagonal ? Cutting off the corner of the room floor to ceiling. Or a chimneybreast half height of wall then going across the face of the wall ?

Sponsored Links
If you are looking plan (top down) the back is diagonal, so it' nearer the front on the right than the left

Here is a picture before it was boarded up but it' hard to see from pic I think...
20171113_193513.jpg

So the gas fitter basically said the chimney was not usable at all, not even to stand the stove closer to the chiney breast. Usable only to connect the flue to it, but we have no idea 1) if that is correct advice 2) how it will look the way he says it will be installed.

The diagram he refers us to is simply a gas fire installation diagram which has a massive metal plate behind fire which is fine if it's hidden but this is totally unsuitable aesthetically for a stove.

I can understand a small black metal plate with a collar in the middle, but I cannot understand a metal plate from floor to height of stove. No pictures I can see online show free standing stoves with any plate behind them. How is that achieved?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back