Stove using existing chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Me again

I'm ready to be shot down for this lol but here goes:

The fire in our living room has been taken out. Hard to explain so Ill post a picture, but a raised marble hearth has been installed, and the opening is still there in the chimney breast. The chimney has just been blocked up with wood but the opening is still there.

What I want to do is install a wood burning stove.

I plan to set it on the hearth, and run the flue into the chimney. Obviously I will install a register plate to seal off the throat of the chimney, with a hole for the flue.

I think the chimney is lined, if so how far into the chimney does the flue have to go? will it need to go the whole way up the chimney, or can I just install enough flue to go from the stove up through the register plate?

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge, but thats where you lot come in!

Sponsored Links
To do the job properly, a new 316 grade smooth bore stainless steel liner should be installed between closure plate and terminal. The space between liner & chimey wall should be insulated (eg vermiculite) especially if chimney on external wall. In any event check there are no joists running across chimney void. The appliance should then be connected to the liner/closure plate with stove pipe.

Get in touch with a HETAS installer, since you're clearly not competent having not even read the regs.

You had better do as you're told. I just shoved a pipe p through a register plate for 18". Had three chimney fires about 20 years ago, but then I learnt to run the stove hot, on very dry wood.

Sponsored Links
Get in touch with a HETAS installer, since you're clearly not competent having not even read the regs.

A tad harsh, and whilst im not qualified, and therefore not competent, I maybe should have explained myself better.

I was of the opinion that I WOULD have to install an insulated steel liner - I know that a stove doesnt heat a chimney to its operating temp and therefore you get soot deposits and high risk of chimney fire?

However the bloke in the stove shop reckons that as my house was built in the 50s and has a lined chimney, and as the stove will see occasional use I should be ok without the steel liner as long as I have the chimney swept once a year.

Now I could have just went with his advice, but I wasnt so sure, I reckoned he would have said anything to get a sale, hence why I posted on here

Looking at my original post it does look like ive made my mind up to go ahead with the cheap option, I havent even decided if Im going to buy a stove at all yet, so sorry for any confusion.

Before you do anything, get a professional chimney sweep in. He will inspect your chimney, smoke test it and sweep the whole thing. Follow his advice on whether you should line it or not.

My house was built in 1927 and the chimneys didn't need lining, but of course, that was after extensive testing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back