register plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I recently inherited a 7 kW wood burning stove. The flue (approx. 8 inches) exits from the rear. Currently I have an open fire place. If I was to make a register plate which blocks the front of the fireplace and insert the flue through it, seal the edges and around the flue. Will this work? I realise I will have to remove the stove to access the chimney for sweeping.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
It will work until the space fills with soot and birds nests, catches on fire and burns your house down.
Really should have a T piece on the back of the stove to which a short length of flue pipe passes through a register plate fitted up in the opening and connects to a liner.
The bottom of the T is fitted with a cap.
This will also make the flue pull better compared to a large catchment space behind the register plate as you propose.

Thanks Cider

I am in the habit of sweeping my chimney 3 times a year and as such feel the build up of soot could be controlled. Is my suggestion contrary to current Building Regs in UK. I can't see why the build up of soot would be any greater with my proposed configuration than the open fire configurtion I've used for last 10 years. Any more suggestions?

Thanks a million.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back