Fire Place Closure Plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone fitted a freestanding stove with a rear flue outlet that goes through a metal plate covering the original fireplace?

I moved into a house with a gas stove that was fitted in this way. The plate has a hole for the flue and a small cutout (60mm x 80mm) at the base.

I have bricked up the original fireplace and want to re-fitt the stove. Should the cut-out be their? What is it for, and shouldn't the plate be gas tight?

Also, as I have bricked up the fireplace (leaving a hole for the flue pipe), do I need to install the metal plate at all.

Any help/tips would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Not much detail but presuming its one of the gazco stoves it requires the fire opening and closure plate that you had, by bricking up the opening and creating a 'letterbox' opening the fire is now classed as At Risk as the flue can no longer be inspected and cleaned. The air relief opening that was in the closure plate just allows for some circulation of air in the room.

If you brick it up you'll create what used to be termed a "letter box" opening and I'll slap abig red label on it telling you you'll be fined up to £5000 if you use it.
So that'll be a "No".
The plate must be removable for cleaning.

Sponsored Links
ollski said:
Not much detail but presuming its one of the gazco stoves it requires the fire opening and closure plate that you had, by bricking up the opening and creating a 'letterbox' opening the fire is now classed as At Risk as the flue can no longer be inspected and cleaned. The air relief opening that was in the closure plate just allows for some circulation of air in the room.

The stove is an old Jotul 100 (hence lack of instructions). What is the smallest opening allowed? I have left a rectangular hole of 160 x 180mm for the flue (I was going to cut the plate down to cover this, leaving a circular hole for the stove flue). I have also left a small hole at the base (similar to closure plate).

Fireplace opening sizes for a jotul 100, Gc.no 3250001:

minimum 400mm (16 inches) height x 300mm (12 inches) width
maximum 650mm (25.5 inches) height x 450mm (18 inches) width.

Thanks for the info - I best get the sledgehammer out!

Just out of interest, where did you get the info? Do you know where I could get a manual for the Jotul 100?

I have also noticed the insualtion under the cover of the stove has come unstuck and is crumbling - someone suggested it might be asbestos - is this likely?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back