Vermiculite to register plate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a part installation in preparation for the fitting of a multi fuel stove. The installer has let me down and I now need to finish off the job.

At the moment there is a 6" chimney liner with a cowling fitted at the roof. At the bottom of the liner there is a solid reducer piece (6" to 5") coming through a fixed register plate. There is a gap of about 1/4" between reducer and the register plate.

I have a widening void at the bottom of my chimney.

1. Do I pour vermiculite down the chimney and use bags of it filling the void upto the register plate?

2. What do I do with the gap between the reducer and the register plate before filling with vermiculite (obviously it would come through the gap)? Should there be a gap?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I am interested to hear some advice for your query, I will hopefully be in a similar position soon.

One thing I am looking into is getting some 8 by 4 foot sheets of what I believe to be Therma Board (although I do not know the correct name) I just know that my father in law used it and purchased it locally, I might have the name wrong but it is something that can withstand a lot of heat and is suitable to use around the inside of a fireplace.

I am hoping that I can use some on the underside of the chimney with a hole cut out for the stove pipe, Then the register plate will go underneath this.

I am not 100% on this and will have to ask a local chimney sweep and stove fitter who is qualified.

Looking at some fire blocks for stoves they seem to be made from vermiculite - I was also told at college that Browning was supposed to be mixed by hand as it contains vermiculite (not sure if this is true)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermiculite

Hopefully you will get some really good advice which I can use for when I get to that stage.

Oooh good luck when you start!

We did not have to use board because we had the existing chimney place that before the gas fire we removed housed an open fire.

The first part of our installation involved the widening of the fireplace, new lintel fitted then scratch coated. We were hoping all we had to do was a plaster skim coat over this and then a coat of paint or two.

Fingers crossed this is ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back