Installing a Wood Stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a 100 year cottage which we are currently renovating. As part of this process we have opened the bricked up chimneys up so we can install a multi flu stove. Having opened the chimney up there is no throat in situation. If I am installing a flu pipe to a register plate do I need to re-instate the throat ?

Sponsored Links
Hi
The throat in the flue is designed to act like an upside down funnel directing all the smoke and gases from an open fire into the flue and up out the pot. I would recommend that you get a professional chimney sweep in first to sweep and test the chimney to ensure that it is in a safe condition to be used. Go to National Association of Chimney Sweeps or Guild of Master Sweeps web sites for a sweep near you. If you are fitting a flue pipe up through a register plate you don't need to reinstate the throat for it to work properly. remember and make an access door in the register plate so when the chimney is swept in the future the sweep can get the hoover in to clear the soot from the top of the plate. The HETAS web site has more information with regards to building reg's etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back