Gas stove and liners?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 1950's brick chimney and an inset gas fire which we have removed (local gas safe man).

I am now going to open out the builders opening to install a gas stove in the fireplace.

Our chimney is unlined but appears to draw fine from the smoke test the gas safe guy did.

Do I need to get the chimney lined if we install a gas stove. As they are glass fronted the efficiency is much higher than the old open fronted inset fire we had which some suggest means we need it lined.

We went to 2 different local suppliers.

One does mainly wood burning stoves for an inset glass fronted stove (therefore high efficiency) they quoted for lining. They weren't gas safe themselves as they sub it out.

Supplier 2 does gas and wood burners and is gas safe registered and mentioned nothing about lining the chimney. They did seem slightly less 'thorough' than the first mob though! They we're quoting in a gas stove.

Any help and advice really appreciated as want to do the right thing but not get my leg lifted in the process!

Ed

Sponsored Links
We've had a similar installation and I did quite a lot of research regarding liners. All of the working flues in our mid-victorian house have been smoke test 1 tested and all passed A1.
However I would totally recommend fitting a liner and of course co2 monitors.
For the sake of a couple of hundred quid (diy) it's really not worth taking any risks.

There's more to a chimney's suitability than just the draw. Why go to the expense of an efficient stove in an unlined chimney? Any installer who agrees to it is either a total chimney expert, with x-ray vision, or a complete mug.

I would say there are even more aspects to consider.

A liner concentrates the flow and keeps it hotter. That creates a better flow but the heat is released to the atmosphere.

An unlined brick chimney will also probably have adequate flow but when cold can result in flow reversal for several minutes.

It allows flue gases to heat up the brickwork and so gets more heat out of the fuel into the building.

But it also can make the brickwork damp from condensation.

So the conclusion could be that you pay an extra £200 and it works best in terms of flue pull and does not risk condensation.

Gas quals are only for gas fires. Wood stoves need HETAS qualified people and also nneed notifying to the local BC.

Tony

Sponsored Links
So the conclusion could be that you pay an extra £200

Gas quals are only for gas fires. Wood stoves need HETAS qualified people and also nneed notifying to the local BC.

Tony

How do you know it will be "only £200"? You have no idea of the flue length or access situation to the roof! Even online an 8M pack is over £120.:

http://www.directflues.co.uk/index....category_id=73&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=7

The truth is that if the flue is internal (i.e. not on an external wall), and not excessive in height, it will probably not need lining - but only the guy doing the install can say so. You need to consult the MI's as they will sate under which circumstance a liner is mandatory for a particular appliance.

Thanks as I did think 200 was a bit cheap as I think the quote from one company for a gas liner was close on 1000.

It is a brick flue external wall ( stands proud of the house).

What does MI mean - being a bit thick today

Ed

Unfortunately wood stoves are seen as something of a luxury and therefore an appliance which can be charged a lot for. This is because they are usually fitted to a property which already has central heating so are not essential.

I agree £200 sounds very cheap and might come from a single story bungalow. I just repeated it from Richard to avoid too many different prices.

On your outside wall a liner is very much recommended.

Tony

If its for a gas appliance then it should not be installed by a DIYer!

If its for a wood stove then it can be installed by a DIYer but the appliance still needs to be commissioned by a HETAS.

Tony

Thanks as I did think 200 was a bit cheap as I think the quote from one company for a gas liner was close on 1000.

It is a brick flue external wall ( stands proud of the house).

What does MI mean - being a bit thick today

Ed

A grand seems top end for a gas liner TBH. But it depends massively on whether scaffolding will be utilised, or is there space for a cherry picker? I, personally, am happy to work off a roof ladder - assuming certain criteria, but I would never criticise someone else for not doing so. As well as the flue liner, there will be need for rigid stove pipe, for the start of the flue which will be exposed. If the job was in my area, and everything was straightforward, I would not be looking at £1000 for the complete installation (obviously not including the appliance). However, as said, one cannot properly assess and quote from a keyboard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back