Adjusting a moulded door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replaced my internal doors a few years back with those oak veneer cottage style ones. Seems everyone else had the same idea as the number of friends and family who also have these is crazy!

Any how, I'd like to replace an old 4 panel Victorian style door (under the stairs) with a new cottage style door. It's a standard 610mm wide, 35mm thick but only 2/3 the height of a normal door (approx 120cm tall). I was thinking about ordering one of these white moulded cottage doors and attempting to adjust it (ie: cutting off bottom section, reducing door to correct hight and then re-gluing bottom section). I've not attempted anything like this before and was wondering how difficult it would be bearing in mind its a moulded door. Obviously once its glued back together i'd fill, sand and gloss white.

Alternatively, anyone know of a company who make custom sized doors and dont charge a small fortune?

https://www.leaderdoors.co.uk/images/lpd-doors-int
lpd-doors-internal-white-moulded-unfinished-textured-5p-vertical-door-texv5p-p56120-196068_image.jpg

Sponsored Links
You can quite easily do this yourself if you're a competent diy'er. I did a hollow door with a diagonal cut years ago for an attic cupboard. In basic terms, kind of as outlined by you, I cut off the triangular section that was no longer required. This exposed the top of the door, the innards if you like. I then simply pieced a section of softwood into the exposed edge and glued/clamped. I can't recall 100% but I think I also screwed either end to provide additional strength. In a sense I'd recreated the outer wooden frame.

We lived there for a few years after and it didn't fall apart :)

Cheers, think ill nip to b&q, buy the door and get them to cut it down for me at the same time too. I'm sure they'll be able to do a clean cut than me.
The doors only £35 so if it all goes wrong its no big loss.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back