Adjusting Toilet size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a house built before 1999 with a downstairs toilet. I want to make this toilet room smaller. Do I need to comply with building regs M and keep it big enough for disabled access. Or given the house is pre-1999 this doesn’t apply to me.

Sponsored Links
So just to confirm. I need to comply to regs for when house was built (1987). Or building regs for when I did the building work (I.e. now).

Sorry for stupid question. I just wanted some peace of mind. Had a bit of a sleepless night last night after building regs guy came round and made some mad suggestions like this one.

Sponsored Links
For 1987 in theory you could do away with the toilet altogether but your BCO might throw a tantrum, ask him to show you the regs that say a toilet needs to be retained.

We want to keep the toilet. Just make it a lot smaller than it currently is. Which means it won’t be wheelchair accessible which the current regs apparently say it has to be.

But the house wasn't built to current Building Regs, when your house was built there was no requirement for a downstairs WC.

Yep I see your point. Therefore if there’s no need for any downstairs toilet in 1987, you can’t argue that a toilet needs to be a certain size.

That’s good news. Thank you for reassurance. Let’s hope building regs person has that same common sense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back