Downstairs toilet removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We want to remove a downstairs toilet without replacing it as it's a 2-bed house with an upstairs bathroom. I realise the legalities of this have been discussed but this toilet is a little different as it's in a corner of the kitchen but the door is on the outside of the building and is accessed from the garden.

The house was built in the early 1900's so I can't imagine this toilet was part of the original house, however the kitchen itself appears to be an extension, so it's possible the toilet was put in when the extension was built.

Anyone have any knowledge of whether removing it would be legal? I'm finding it hard to get info.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Probably was all it had at the time it was built! An outside loo. Can’t see why there would be any problems removing it. Can’t you modernise it, brick up on the outside and open it up from the inside?

Thanks, yes the plan is to remove it completely though and have a larger kitchen, but it seems there are regulations about removing downstairs toilets without replacing them, so was just wondering if anyone had any knowledge about how that would apply here.

Well I don't know about the regs but if you have to go outside to get to the toilet I would say it is an outside toilet not a downstairs one. I can imagine a 1900 house would have just the one outside toilet and no bathroom ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. So even though it's inside the house, since the access is from outside it's considered an outdoor toilet?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back