Adjusting uPVC door butt hinges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our uPVC back door is about 4(?) years old.

After a year or two the rubber seal at the bottom started to fray because the bottom (side opposite the butt hinges) was rubbing against it. Someone used some allen keys to lift the door upwards and the seal was pulled out of the bottom tray.

Now, when you close the door, the top left hand side slightly hits the door frame (it still closes though).

I can see no way of adjusting the hinges sideway (in the frame as you look at it from the outside).

hingeinterior.jpg

hingeexterior.jpg

doorgap.jpg

I have Googled the topic, I even came across the following from the door supplier

Adjusting the hinges on your uPVC door requires precise vertical movement using an Allen key. To adjust the height of your uPVC door, use the Allen key to turn the screw that controls the vertical movement of the hinge. Older butt hinges may only feature adjustable pins at the top and bottom, while newer ones typically have two screws on the side in addition to the pins at the top and bottom.
https://www.valuedoors.co.uk/advice/how-to-adjust-upvc-door-hinges/
Adjust the hinges until the door moves freely and without squeaking. Check that the spacing is even on both sides. This will ensure proper alignment and a secure fit of your uPVC door.

Does that mean that ValueDoors (continue to knowingly) use "older" hinges? Or am I missing something? I cannot see any covers that will allow left/right adjustment.

Advice will be gratefully received.

The new door replaced a timber door and frame. There is a 3.5(?)m concrete lintel above that has been there since the extension was built approximately 20 years ago. I haven't used a roofing square to see if things are off square yet. The multipoint locking is currently fine.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
It's a Trojan 3d hinge, remove the long cylindrical cover in the middle and you should see a 4mm Allen bolt, if you undo that you should be able to lever the door over, then lock it off

It's a Trojan 3d hinge, remove the long cylindrical cover in the middle and you should see a 4mm Allen bolt, if you undo that you should be able to lever the door over, then lock it off

Many thanks @crank39

Do I literally lever it off? As things stand, the door is only able to about 95 degrees, is that going to make things any more difficult.

Cheers

Yeah I think its just thin plastic, just pulls off, I have one of those box spanners but if you haven't then you can use a hex bit holder

Sponsored Links
Check all the screws in the hinge are tight too, the screws have a habit of coming loose in these hinges

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back